I had a need to discover my network, but only follow uplink from/to switch/router, not every IP address!
Looking with discovery or dpdiscover even if they are based on cdp they take every device on the network.
So I wrote a plugin that start from one device registered in cacti, pool his cdp table, get name, ip and capabilities of the remote device, and if it's a switch or a router, graph the link, add it to thold (if present) and pool this new device.
Lightly based on the original Discovery and Dpdiscovery plug-in, this plug-in scan an existing device (seed host) to find where it has an uplink to other switch/router.
When it finds a new device, if it’s not existent, it’s added to Cacti and monitored (if requested by user and present), the link is ‘graphed’ (status and traffic based on user template), tholded (if present and a template exist)
The options are the following
- When discovered, create a graph for the CPU.
- Create a Status graph for the new uplink on both sides, and what graphic type.
- Create a Traffic graph for the new uplink on both sides, and what graphic type.
- Create threshold for it, for the Status, if this plug-in is available, and which template.
- Create threshold for it, for the Traffic, if this plug-in is available, and which template.
- Monitor the new device, if plug-in is present
- Specified the Tree where to add the device, for an easy finding later.
- Define the deepness of the CDP discovery.
- Domain name in case it’s missing
- Device is recognizes by the capabilities (it has to by ‘Switch’ or ‘Router’).
- Device description is the short part of the CDP device ID, or fqdn or IP
- Hostname is the Device name, or IP from CDP (has to be joinable)
- Poller time of action
But I can't add it on the web site, this link disen't work http://docs.cacti.net/userplugin