This thread is out of date. Please use http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=26540 for comments and questions.
I have finally decided to rewrite NPC this time including all the features I want to see. It is not ready for an initial release yet but I wanted to show a few screenshots and list out some of the features to give an idea of the direction. One big change was to use ndo2db to handle inserting nagios events/objects into the database. This gets us away from the inserter module which is where most people had trouble.
I am very interested in suggestions so if you have an idea of what a Nagios and Cacti integration should be please share it in this thread and I will use this thread to give updates on the development status.
* Nagios data is handled via ndo2db (written/maintained by Nagios team)
* A customizable dashboard view with various portlets to choose from
* Tabbed interface (EXT) with asynchronous data loads
* Must be a complete Nagios UI replacement (reports, maps, etc.)
* Must import (graph) Nagios performance data (semi-auto)
* Ability to link existing Cact service/host graphs to Nagios service/host
* Host and service level permissions configured similar to Cacti
A few screenshots are attached.