(This is a posting I made to the Windows Specific Forum, I've copied here as it may be a bug and I'd like the Spine Gurus to take a look before any formal bugs are raised)
I'm stuck with this one! I'm currently polling a number of fibre channel switches and a windows cluster with cacti. The counters on the switches are polled with a PHP script (a slightly modified bersion of this one http://forums.cacti.net/about15797.html
), the windows servers SNMP counters are polled directly.
I was using php.cmd as the poller and all was (and is) OK. I switched to the latest version of spine (0.8.7d) this week (previous versions just crashed) to speed things up. This version of spine seems to work without crashing but only gets data back from the SNMP counters on the windows cluster, I get "Empty result" and "output: U" type errors
Host ERROR: Empty result [10.11.76.202]: 'D:\php\php.exe -q D:\Apache2\htdocs\cacti\scripts\query_fa_mib_san_portinfo.php 10.11.76.202 PASSWORD 1 get txelement 1
Host DS SCRIPT: D:\php\php.exe -q D:\Apache2\htdocs\cacti\scripts\query_fa_mib_san_portinfo.php 10.11.76.202 PASSWORD 1 get txelement 1, output: U
for all of the switches.
I've tried/found a number of things...
1) The full path to php.exe and the script *is* included in the .xml file
2) Spine does seem to work as it gets the counters from the windows cluster
3) I renamed the .PHP file and the error didn't change, so I assumed spine cannot find the PHP file.
4) I ran filemon on the windows box that runs cacti, it confirmed that spine makes no attempt to run php.exe and hence doesn't open my PHP script!!
5) Evertyhing works again when I revert back to cmd.php.
6) I've tried rebuilding the cache.
7) I've run the cacti security script so I believe permissions are set correctly on cmd.exe and the PHP script. (I use an Apache webserver)
8.) I have applied the 4 Cacti 0.7.8d patches.
I'm at a loss as to why spine fails to execute my script. The various debug options I've tried (cacti.log, spine -V=5 etc) haven't shown me anything that cries out as a glaring error as to why this is failing.
Operating System: XP SP2
MySQL: 5 something (not sure where this is recorded)
RRDTool (Cygwin or Win32 version): 1.2.x
Cygwin (cygwin1.dll version): 1005.25.0.0 (Bundled with Spine 0.8.7d)
Does anyone have any pointers/ideas?
(I can supply any log/debug files you need to help with this one, I'll attach a the 'normal' style ones for info)