Cacti: offical forums and support
It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cacti Developers Conference 2011 Summary
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:58 pm 
Developer/Forum Admin

Cacti Developer Conference Summary

August 1st to 5th of 2011

In the first week of August 2011, the Cacti group had a long over due developers conference in sunny San Jose, California. It was a great success! Much of the time was coding and getting the next major release of Cacti ready. Lot of discussions were had about Cacti and having more regular release schedules. We all realize after many years that this is a volunteer project for most of us and to have meaningful releases on a timely manor we needed to break up all the features and tasks into manageable chunks. Expect more releases of Cacti more often in the future.

In the coming weeks we will be releasing a alpha of Cacti 1.0.0. Some of the major features are:

- Web 2.0 implementation using AJAX
- Integrated plugin architecture
- Inclusion of some core plugins in the base code, Boost, Settings, etc...
- Improved installation and platform specific setup
- Internationalization
- Extended RRDTool support
- Improved Templating and Data Query usage
- Command line scripts enhancements
- Updated graph presentation
- Many enhancements for Plugin Developers

Features planned for future releases:

- User audit logging
- Distributed and remote polling
- User groups
- Granular user and group permissions
- And more!

There are some other things have come to light over the years about the Cacti code base. We realize that it can be quite a task to figure it out and efforts are underway to improve the readability and organization of the code base. These efforts aren't only for the Cacti group but to help everyone out there hacking on Cacti. We want to encourage people to get involved in the coding of Cacti and contribute their ideas and energy to the project.

For the first time in the history of the Cacti Group we will soon be offering the ability to sponsor Cacti. These sponsorships will come with some benefits, not only including a link on the Cacti web sites, but potential prioritization of features in Cacti and potentially direct developer support. We welcome the communities input on this!

And lastly I want to thank the Cacti developers for coming out to San Jose, California and making it possible to make over 250 code commits to getting Cacti 1.0.0 alpha out the door. I want to give a big thanks to Barracuda Networks, Inc for providing a place for the Cacti Group to meet, it was much appreciated. And mostly I want to give a big thanks to the Cacti Community! Without you all using Cacti none of us would have had the experiences we have had working on Cacti and working with all of you!

Sincerely,

The Cacti Group

With age comes wisdom, what you choose to do with it determines whether or not you are wise.

Post subject: Re: Cacti Developers Conference 2011 Summary
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:48 am 
Cacti Guru User

rony wrote:
There are some other things have come to light over the years about the Cacti code base. We realize that it can be quite a task to figure it out and efforts are underway to improve the readability and organization of the code base. These efforts aren't only for the Cacti group but to help everyone out there hacking on Cacti. We want to encourage people to get involved in the coding of Cacti and contribute their ideas and energy to the project.

Not sure how it would work but apart from internal documentation (and some kind of high-level philosophy of the "cacti way"), if you really want to get others to work on the code, I think you need to be more transparent about the development somehow. I know I gave up on a few things I wanted to add because I got the impression that while I was working on code, loads of things were going on in the background and the code I was working against would just take a sharp turn any second.

Good to hear things are still moving though! :-)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:05 pm 
Developer/Forum Admin

Good input!

I have to think about what we can do to remove the veil that surrounds our development discussions.

I'm not opposed to opening the discussions on a mailing list. My only worry, and maybe it's superficial, is the potential for distractions.

With age comes wisdom, what you choose to do with it determines whether or not you are wise.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:07 pm 
Developer

That was what I wanted the blog on docs.cacti.net for. To open a topic for discussion ...
R.

Central Templates Repository

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:39 am 

Where can I checkout the Cacti 1.0.0 alpha.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:25 am 
Cacti Moderator

Tried the SVN yet?

| Scripts: Monitor processes | RFC1213 MIB | DOCSIS Stats | Dell PowerEdge | Speedfan | APC UPS | DOCSIS CMTS | 3ware | Motorola Canopy |
| Guides: Windows Install | [HOWTO] Debug Windows NTFS permission problems |
| Tools: Windows All-in-one Installer |

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:52 pm 
Cacti User

I wanted to say that I truly appreciate the work you do on this tool!

We use cacti all the time for our WISP business.

I have tried several other network monitoring tools, but cacti always seems to be the most flexible and useful for us.

I am not a developer, but I would like to say that it would be great for me to be able to "recruit" cacti developers for enhancements we need for using cacti in our business. We have acquired a couple of enhancements from a couple of cacti developers; but it has always been in a bit of an ad-hoc kind of way. For the developers that have helped us, I give a great big thank you!

So in with that in mind, it would be great if there was a way to solicit for developers to implement either enhancements or add-ons that would make cacti more useful to us.