Cacti (home)ForumsDocumentation
Cacti: offical forums and support
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: [INFO] Does Cacti Support snmpV3 and AES192 or AES256?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:29 am 
Developer

All,

This question gets asked more an more these days. So, here is a quick writeup. Let me first state, does Cacti support snmpV3. Yes. However, it's a qualified yes. Let me explain. I'll first start with Windows.

WINDOWS
In Windows, as of this writing, if you are using PHP's snmp support, you will not get snmpV3 support. This is due to the fact that the PHP development team is using a rather dated implementation of the snmp protocol on Windows. I have created a bug report here Bug to PHP Devel Team If you want to see it fixed, please add comments to the bug. It's a trivial fix.

The workaround for this is to simply use the net-snmp binaries instead of php-snmp. This is not a good solution since it slows things down though.

Linux/UNIX
In this platform, PHP supports snmpV3, with the exception of SNMP Context's. Which are not supported. If you are using Contexts, if you upgrade to 0.8.7c++ of Cacti, we have incorporated a workaround to this problem so that you can continue to use php-snmp.

Spine
There have been some complaints of late relative to snmpV3 support in Spine, and I can say that it works fine for DES and should have worked for AES (again) as of 0.8.7e. This applies equally to Windows and Linux/UNIX. However, I found an issue working with a user today that requires some changes to snmp.c, which I will post elsewhere. In addition, there is one exception which I explain below.

Net-SNMP
Net-SNMP Supports snmpV3, as you would expect it to, but not either AES192 or AES256. There is a nice post here Net-SNMP Article that explains why this is. Bottom line, use AES128.

I hope that helps those of you who have been experiencing problems adopting snmpV3.

Regards,

TheWitness

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of MacTrack, Boost, CLog, SpikeKill, Platform RTM, DSStats, maintainer of Spine, lot's of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Central Templates Repository

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:39 pm 
Developer

I have an update on the support of snmpV3 on Windows. I had worked with one of the PHP Lead Developers for Windows, and we have resolved the PHP snmp issues on Windows.

You should be able to use PHP 5.3.2++ and have a fully functional PHP snmp module with snmpV3.

TheWitness

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of MacTrack, Boost, CLog, SpikeKill, Platform RTM, DSStats, maintainer of Spine, lot's of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Central Templates Repository

Post subject: Re: [INFO] Does Cacti Support snmpV3 and AES192 or AES256?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:26 am 

Three years have passed since the last post
Aes 256 still not working..
Any plans to add support for this feature in the future releases?