Cacti (home)ForumsDocumentation
Cacti: offical forums and support
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 'rewrite_value' syntax for captured groups?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 am 

Hello,

I'm running cacti 0.8.7i with the patches in mantis bug #0002149 to provide the 'rewrite_value' function (which I gather is in cacti 0.8.8 ).
It seems the syntax for rewrite_value is the same as PHP's 'serialize' function (which I know nothing about), but has an example in the docs (http://docs.cacti.net/manual:088:3a_advanced_topics.3_data_queries). I have managed to dig out the basic syntax, but have hit a problem.

An SNMP OID returns a (multi-word) string value, which typically ends in the word 'temperature'. What I wanted to do was use rewrite_value to remove that word from the value returned to cacti.
So, for example, 'module 5 outlet temperature' => 'module 5 outlet'. With regular expressions I would basically do '^(.*) temperature$' and then pass that captured group as the value. However, I have no idea what the syntax is in rewrite_value for captured groups :(

Can anyone provide any help with this please?

Post subject: Re: 'rewrite_value' syntax for captured groups?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:47 am 

Late reply, but maybe useful for others too. For your use case, I would look at using
<source>VALUE/REGEXP:</source>
instead of <rewrite_value>. VALUE/REGEXP parses the returned value and only returns the part of the value you're interested in.

For example like this:
<source>VALUE/REGEXP:^(.*) [a-zA-Z]+$</source>
to catch everything except the last word.