Citrix Presentation Server - Sessions - Template

Templates, scripts for templates, scripts and requests for templates.

Moderators: Moderators, Developers

Author
ScOp3
Cacti User

Citrix Presentation Server - Sessions - Template

#1 Post by ScOp3 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:51 am

I am running this template for a couple of months now and thought some of you might be interested. I exported this as a host template and hope everything you need is included.

How it works:

I query a certain OID which shows the current amount of Citrix Sessions on the server. The problem is that you get the user created sessions plus a certain amount of system generated sessions. In my case there were always 3 system generated session which i was not interested in. So i created a CDEF for the sessions which deducts the amount of 3 for the current data source.

Based on the single server data i then created a cumulative graph of all citrix sessions available. The problem with the total again is the not wanted system generated sessions. Cacti is currently not able to report the amount of data sources in a function/variable which u could use for dynamic calculating the amount of session to deduct. (Hope someone could actually understand the last sentence *g*)
Anyway what i then did was create a second CDEF which deducts "Amount of data sources * 3" from the combined graph.

If those CDEF's are not included in the Host Template simply create those two according to my description above.

Have a look at the screenshots and if you can use template i am happy to help.

Greetings...

ScOp3

PS: If anyone has knowledge about other usable OID's i will add them to the template.
Attachments
cacti_host_template_citrix_server.zip
Citrix Host Template
(2.52 KiB) Downloaded 3119 times
Citrix.png
View of total graphed Citrix Server...
Citrix.png (18.18 KiB) Viewed 30222 times
Citrix-Server.png
View of single graphed Citrix Server...
Citrix-Server.png (17.68 KiB) Viewed 30218 times
Citrix-Summary-Config.png
View of how to config a total/summary graph...
Citrix-Summary-Config.png (42.76 KiB) Viewed 30218 times
Last edited by ScOp3 on Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate and dancing leads to sex!

Phobos182
Cacti User

#2 Post by Phobos182 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:04 pm

I run almost the same thing, but my Terminal_Server_Sessions counter could not be trusted (It was off by a random number, not a static one like 3). Instead I scripted each Citrix Server to run a dump on there current connection statistics & program utliization to a flat text file on the Cacti Server. I then used a different program to read in the file every 5 minutes, and put it in the RRD Database for use. Works well, but entirely custom to my environment.

I used stacking on the graph so I could determine that Load Balancing was working properly on the farm.
Attachments
farm_total.png
farm_total.png (29.27 KiB) Viewed 30184 times
programs.png
programs.png (31.88 KiB) Viewed 30184 times
[size=84][color=red] Electronic Frontier Foundation[/color]
[url]http://eff.org[/url][/size]

ScOp3
Cacti User

#3 Post by ScOp3 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:21 am

Phobos182 wrote:I run almost the same thing, but my Terminal_Server_Sessions counter could not be trusted (It was off by a random number, not a static one like 3).
I think the problem with determining the correct amount of surplus sessions might also be related to changing users. If you query the OID when you are sure no one is working on a specific farm server you get the correct amount to deduct. If you have different amounts of surplus sessions between you're farm servers it might be due to different server version or patch level maybe. Anyway i could ask my Citrix Dude when i get back from vacation.

I wonder if anyone got that template working.

Meisi

#4 Post by Meisi » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:47 am

The user count value from a citrix server (presentation 3.0) is not right, but i use this SNMP4CTX with MRTG and OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9827.1.1.1.1.0 to get the right user count.

SNMP4CTX is a Microsoft SNMP extension agent, that allows SNMP to be used to collect application statistics from Citrix WinFrame/MetaFrame/MetaFrame XP.

http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc/snmp4ctx.htm

ScOp3
Cacti User

#5 Post by ScOp3 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:27 pm

Meisi wrote:The user count value from a citrix server (presentation 3.0) is not right, but i use this SNMP4CTX with MRTG and OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9827.1.1.1.1.0 to get the right user count.

SNMP4CTX is a Microsoft SNMP extension agent, that allows SNMP to be used to collect application statistics from Citrix WinFrame/MetaFrame/MetaFrame XP.

http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc/snmp4ctx.htm
Are you talking about the template? It graphs sessions, not Users. If that OID you posted will report users i will check it out once i get back from vacation.

Also you have to adjust the included CDEF which is set to my enviroment. Not sure if you are talking about the template though.

padawan

#6 Post by padawan » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:35 am

any news?

spoonman
Cacti User

#7 Post by spoonman » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:56 pm

Are there any new Citrix templates out there?? PS 4.0 4.5 or XenApp stuff?