Reback SMS 1800 Scripts

Templates, scripts for templates, scripts and requests for templates.

Moderators: Moderators, Developers

Author
Cacti User

Reback SMS 1800 Scripts

#1 Post by chadd » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:34 am

I submit these scripts in hopes that they may be of use to other people still managing Redback SMS 1800s on their network. I created these scripts because I could not find any other easy way to collect the information I needed.

The scripts are written in Perl, so sorry... I am not that up on PHP at the moment, but I am in the process of learning.

Both of these scripts require the following Perl modules:

####################
# Required Modules #
# #
####################

use Getopt::Long;
use Pod::Usage;
use Data::Validate::IP qw(is_ipv4);
use Data::Validate::Domain qw(is_domain);
use Net::Telnet;

Both scripts have online help and a man page if needed. The documentation is rough, but for what they are I didn't think they required too much documentation.

The first script (redbac_sub_totals.pl) is to collect active subscriber totals from the SMS, for each "context (virtual router)" you wish to collect those statistics on.

The second script (redback_DrpRcvd.pl) is a script written to collect "receive dropped" cell counters, in 5min deltas, for each port you wish to collect those statistics on. This script requires that you create a directory in the <cacti path>scripts/ directory called script_logs. That directory should be read/writable by whatever user runs your poller.

A side note on the redback_DrpRcvd.pl script. We found that our customers were having trouble when there was high bandwidth utilization on the Redback. After talking to Redback support, we found out that the backplane is only 100m/fullduplex (even though it is fed by multiple 0c3s ;-). So, long and short, don't put more than 100m of bandwidth through your SMS 1800. If you are, run this script, and start trending the data. You may be suprised. Oh, also, make up some aggregate graphs (all the ports on your SMS togather in one graph, i.e. AREA, STACK, STACK, etc..). Match those up with your new "DrpRcvd" graphs, and you will see the light ;-).

Anyway, I hope these are usefull. As always, they come with no warrenty or support (other than the built in kind ;-).

-chadd.
Attachments
scripts.tar
Just tar -xf scripts.tar in your scripts/ directory. Have fun.
(3.68 KiB) Downloaded 1507 times