Dell Equallogic Group template

Templates, scripts for templates, scripts and requests for templates.

Moderators: Moderators, Developers

Author
Message
holobeer
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:58 am

#16 Post by holobeer » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:34 am

spoonwzd wrote:Sorry if I've missed this somewhere but:

None of the member queries are defined in the host template by default.

If I create graphs for the member queries, they never populate with data.

All the 'Group' stuff works, but none of the 'Member' stuff does - any ideas?
Did you follow step 2?
2.place equallogic_member.xml into ./resource/snmp_queries

Looks like the query is not available.

spoonwzd
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:10 pm

#17 Post by spoonwzd » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:37 pm

Thanks for the repsonse holobeer.

Yeah, I defo have the equallogic_member.xml in snmp_queries, with the correct permissions, etc.

Is there a reason that the 'Member' items (IOPS, fan speeds, temperatures, etc) are not defined in the host template?

Oddly I can add them to the host template and they appear on the device screen and then I can create the (non existant) graphs, but if I don't add them to the template they are not selectable from the list of graph templates when defining the device.

I'm definately missing something here, just can't figure out what! :)

I also mentioned you on my blog post http://www.spoonapedia.com/2010/07/upgrading-cacti.html - hope you don't mind :)

noname
Cacti Guru User
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:04 am
Location: Japan

#18 Post by noname » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:08 pm

spoonwzd wrote:Oddly I can add them to the host template and they appear on the device screen and then I can create the (non existant) graphs, but if I don't add them to the template they are not selectable from the list of graph templates when defining the device.
Probably, because those graph templates (not selectable) are already associated with appropriate data queries.

Try, if you duplicate a graph template such as 'Interface - Traffic (bits/sec)',
that template appears in 'Add Graph Template:' menu when defining the device.

And then, if you associate the template with data query (such as 'SNMP - Interface Statistics'),
it will be disappeared in the above menu.


If a graph template was associated, it is grouped by templates that share the same data query when creating graph.
(You can see that in 'Select a graph type:' menu when you click 'Create Graphs for this Host')

Data Queries - Associated Graph Templates

holobeer
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:58 am

#19 Post by holobeer » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:29 am

spoonwzd wrote:Thanks for the repsonse holobeer.

Yeah, I defo have the equallogic_member.xml in snmp_queries, with the correct permissions, etc.

Is there a reason that the 'Member' items (IOPS, fan speeds, temperatures, etc) are not defined in the host template?

Oddly I can add them to the host template and they appear on the device screen and then I can create the (non existant) graphs, but if I don't add them to the template they are not selectable from the list of graph templates when defining the device.

I'm definately missing something here, just can't figure out what! :)

I also mentioned you on my blog post http://www.spoonapedia.com/2010/07/upgrading-cacti.html - hope you don't mind :)
Can you send/post some screenshots of the screens where you seem to miss templates?

spoonwzd
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:10 pm

#20 Post by spoonwzd » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:55 am

The import appears sucessful:

Code: Select all

CDEF
[success] Multiply by 1048576 [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Calculate Free Space [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Calculate Free Space Percentage [update]

GPRINT Preset
[success] Normal [update]
[success] Exact Numbers [update]
[success] Bytes [update]
[success] Percentage (2.0) [update]
[success] Ping [update]

Data Input Method
[success] Get SNMP Data [update]
[success] Get SNMP Data (Indexed) [update]

Data Template
[success] Dell Equallogic - Group - MemberCount [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Group - MembersOnline [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Group - PoolSpace [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Group - PoolSpaceDelegated [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Group - PoolSpaceUsed [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Group - PoolSpaceReserved [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Group - ReplReserveSpace [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Group - FreeSpace [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Group - VolumeSpaceSubscribed [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Group - DelegatedUsedSpace [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Group - ReservedSpaceInUse [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Group - SnapReserveSpaceFree [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Group - ReplReserveInUse [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Group - ReplReserveSpaceFree [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Group - VolumeCount [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Group - VolumesOnline [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Group - VolumesInUse [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Group - SnapShotCount [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Group - SnapShotsInUse [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Group - SnapShotsOnline [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Member - I/O Operations/sec [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Member - Bytes/sec [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Member - Latency [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Member - iSCSI connections [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Member - Storage Allocation [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Member - Snapshot Allocation [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Member - Temperatures [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Member - Fan speed [update]

Graph Template
[success] Dell Equallogic - Group - Members [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Group - Space [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Group - Volume Space [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Group - Delegated Space [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Group - Snapshot Space [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Group - Replication Snapshot Space [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Group - Volumes [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Group - Snapshots [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Member - I/O Operations/sec [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Member - Bytes/sec [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Member - Latency [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Member - iSCSI connections [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Member - Storage Allocation [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Member - Snapshot Allocation [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Member - Temperatures [update]
[success] Dell Equallogic - Member - Fan speed [update]

Data Query
[success] Dell Equallogic - Member Statistics [update]

Host Template
[success] Dell Equallogic Group (SNMPv2 required) [update]
The graph and data templates page show all Group and Member templates from the import as expected.

When I view the host template, it doesn't list any Member templates.

Image

Is this correct? If so, how do I make graphs for the Member graph templates, coz when I add them to the host template and create the graphs the data templates never collect the data...

holobeer
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:58 am

#21 Post by holobeer » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:31 am

It looks like everything is working correctly.
You will not see the member graphs associated with the host template because they are part of the data query "Dell Equallogic - Member Statistics". This works the same way you would add a network graph to a device.

When you add a equallogic device in cacti and you select "Create Graphs for this Host" you will see a screen similar to the one below.

In case the Data Query has not found any membersyou can try refreshing it by clicking the green circle. Otherwise you will see all the members part of the equallogic storage group.
You can select the members you wish to create graphs for and select the member graph type you require.
Select the "Create" button to create the graphs.
Repeat the above steps for every member graph you want to create.

Hope this helps.[/img]
Attachments
equallogic.graph.selection.png
Dell Equallogic graph selection
equallogic.graph.selection.png (37.16 KiB) Viewed 17661 times

spoonwzd
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:10 pm

#22 Post by spoonwzd » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:04 pm

Ahhhh! Yes, I understand - it's not like you can just have all the member graphs in the template as you can have multiple members in the group and you need to ennumerate each one before you create the graphs!

Have done what you said and it's working perfectly as expected.

Thanks for your time and patience!

unixfanatic
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:56 pm

I have the same problem. Any resolution?

#23 Post by unixfanatic » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:01 pm

hinojosa89 wrote:hi

we have a PS5000XV and we are trying to use this template. we did all the steps but it is not working. When we create the device we obtain an snmp error in the top page and there is not any result in the data query.
We are trying to find any data about the error but there is not any information aditionalin the logs.

Thanks
I've got 2 groups. One with 2 members and one with only 1 member. All members have the same firmware (4.3.6). The group with 2 members works perfectly. The group with one member fails with "snmp error". I've done a snmpwalk against all the OID's in the template and get now errors.

unixfanatic
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: I have the same problem. Any resolution?

#24 Post by unixfanatic » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:22 pm

unixfanatic wrote:
hinojosa89 wrote:hi

we have a PS5000XV and we are trying to use this template. we did all the steps but it is not working. When we create the device we obtain an snmp error in the top page and there is not any result in the data query.
We are trying to find any data about the error but there is not any information aditionalin the logs.

Thanks
I've got 2 groups. One with 2 members and one with only 1 member. All members have the same firmware (4.3.6). The group with 2 members works perfectly. The group with one member fails with "snmp error". I've done a snmpwalk against all the OID's in the template and get now errors.
UPDATE:
I tracked down the reason for the SNMP error. Turns out that there's a line in the host.php that checks to see if the system name is null and if it is it throws the error. For some reason my single-member group returns null for OID .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0 which causes this to happen. Not sure what I'm going to do about it yet.

spoonwzd
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:10 pm

Re: I have the same problem. Any resolution?

#25 Post by spoonwzd » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:30 pm

unixfanatic wrote:
unixfanatic wrote:
hinojosa89 wrote:hi

we have a PS5000XV and we are trying to use this template. we did all the steps but it is not working. When we create the device we obtain an snmp error in the top page and there is not any result in the data query.
We are trying to find any data about the error but there is not any information aditionalin the logs.

Thanks
I've got 2 groups. One with 2 members and one with only 1 member. All members have the same firmware (4.3.6). The group with 2 members works perfectly. The group with one member fails with "snmp error". I've done a snmpwalk against all the OID's in the template and get now errors.
UPDATE:
I tracked down the reason for the SNMP error. Turns out that there's a line in the host.php that checks to see if the system name is null and if it is it throws the error. For some reason my single-member group returns null for OID .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0 which causes this to happen. Not sure what I'm going to do about it yet.
I'm sure I have the same issue on a single SAN - my solution is to set the downed device detection to Ping and SNMP. It still fails the SNMP, but passes the Ping and collects the data.

greenieofdubbo
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:21 pm

#26 Post by greenieofdubbo » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:52 pm

Hi All

I followed the instructions and setup to monitor my PS5000's however the graphs don't populate. I get dead links, eg no images.

Any ideas?

greenieofdubbo
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:21 pm

#27 Post by greenieofdubbo » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:08 pm

Got it working, i changed the "Downed Device Detection" to ICMP Ping and they started to generate.

spoonwzd
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:10 pm

#28 Post by spoonwzd » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:59 am

Pretty sure I just said that :)

greenieofdubbo
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:21 pm

#29 Post by greenieofdubbo » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:28 am

Haha. Sorry I missed your comment... :D

ewillems
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:13 am

Re: I have the same problem. Any resolution?

#30 Post by ewillems » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:23 am

spoonwzd wrote:
unixfanatic wrote:
unixfanatic wrote: I've got 2 groups. One with 2 members and one with only 1 member. All members have the same firmware (4.3.6). The group with 2 members works perfectly. The group with one member fails with "snmp error". I've done a snmpwalk against all the OID's in the template and get now errors.
UPDATE:
I tracked down the reason for the SNMP error. Turns out that there's a line in the host.php that checks to see if the system name is null and if it is it throws the error. For some reason my single-member group returns null for OID .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0 which causes this to happen. Not sure what I'm going to do about it yet.
I'm sure I have the same issue on a single SAN - my solution is to set the downed device detection to Ping and SNMP. It still fails the SNMP, but passes the Ping and collects the data.
I have found the solution:

You have to enter a member description. This can be done in the Group Manager (webinterface):
  • Open Dell Equallogic Group Manager
  • Browse to Members
  • Select the first member and select Modify Member settings
  • Enter a description

Post Reply