Request for some control over warnings?

Support questions about the Network Weather Map plugin

Moderators: Moderators, Developers

Author
Cacti User

Request for some control over warnings?

#1 Post by Tybio » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:48 pm

Howie,

I've got a huge number of MPLS LSPs being graphed...some of them don't see data for days at a time (The glory of a full mesh). Could I get a way to kill the warning to 0 responses? Right now I've just done this in Weathermap.class.php:

//if (($in < 0) || ($out < 0))
//{
// $in=0;
// $out=0;
// **
// warn
// ("ReadData: $type $name, target: $targetstring on config line $target[3] had no valid data, according to $matched_by\n");
//}

Not the best answer, but stops my cacti logs from getting stupid big :).

Howie
Cacti Guru User

#2 Post by Howie » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:55 pm

That is checking for LESS than zero (i.e. negative) bandwidth...

The negative check is because the DS plugins use -1 to signal that there was no valid data, although that will change in the future.

If your data collection is working OK, then rrdtool should be filling your rrds with data, even if it's a lot of zeroes.

So what you're seeing isn't a result of quiet links, it's a result of the rrd-reading failing. You might be able to improve that with either
SET rrd_use_poller_output 1 at the top of your map config (if you have 0.94 or newer), which collects data directly from the cacti poller instead of out of the rrd files, or SET rrd_period 1200 to extend the period that the rrd file reading code will look back in time to get valid data. If that works, it's probably a sign that something else isn't quite right with your data collection though - it defaults to 800 seconds, which is almost 3 poller cycles in most installations.
Weathermap 0.98a is out! & QuickTree 1.0. Superlinks is over there now (and built-in to Cacti 1.x).
Some Other Cacti tweaks, including strip-graphs, icons and snmp/netflow stuff.
(Let me know if you have UK DevOps or Network Ops opportunities, too!)

Tybio
Cacti User

#3 Post by Tybio » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:12 am

This is an interesting problem then. The first one returns the invalid result and the "Line" is gray on the weathermap. The second one works fine, any insight?

ds[mplsLspOctets].type = "COUNTER"
ds[mplsLspOctets].minimal_heartbeat = 1200
ds[mplsLspOctets].min = 0.0000000000e+00
ds[mplsLspOctets].max = 1.0000000000e+10
ds[mplsLspOctets].last_ds = "0"
ds[mplsLspOctets].value = 0.0000000000e+00
ds[mplsLspOctets].unknown_sec = 0
ds[mplsLspOctets].type = "COUNTER"
ds[mplsLspOctets].minimal_heartbeat = 1200
ds[mplsLspOctets].min = 0.0000000000e+00
ds[mplsLspOctets].max = 1.0000000000e+10
ds[mplsLspOctets].last_ds = "5709883779"
ds[mplsLspOctets].value = 5.9613020000e+04
ds[mplsLspOctets].unknown_sec = 0

Howie
Cacti Guru User

#4 Post by Howie » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:26 am

Well, the first one has a last value of '0' which is probably not a good sign...

run with DEBUG enabled for a poller cycle, and you'll be able to see in the cacti.log what data weathermap is pulling from the rrd files. I expect you'll see 'nan' for the first rrd file.
Weathermap 0.98a is out! & QuickTree 1.0. Superlinks is over there now (and built-in to Cacti 1.x).
Some Other Cacti tweaks, including strip-graphs, icons and snmp/netflow stuff.
(Let me know if you have UK DevOps or Network Ops opportunities, too!)