Aggregate V0.71 - Released

Announcements concerning Plugins for Cacti

Moderators: Moderators, Developers

Author

Aggregate plugin running but no "Creacte Aggregate Grap

#61 Post by nerdi » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:04 am

Running 0.8.7d with PAI 2.4 Aggrefate v0.7B2 - Installed and running, user Realm permissions updated, but no drop down in Graph Management for "Create Aggregate Graph".

nerdi

Figured it out

#62 Post by nerdi » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:25 pm

Had to uninstall and reinstall / enable and drop down for aggregate graphs showed up.

gandalf
Developer

Re: GT modification => possible BUG?

#63 Post by gandalf » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:53 am

guigzmorez wrote:Hi Gandalf,

Find below a possible issue using Aggregate :

I have changed the grah template colour and it affected the behaviour of aggregated graphs : Colour modification and legend destruction (check the Inbound part).

See the examples below. Tested with 2 kind of graph, one using the graph template original colours, one using a colour template, the behaviour is the same.

The 2 first graphs show aggregated graphs AFTER GT Inbound item colour modification.
The 2 lasts graphs show aggregated graphs BEFORE GT Inbound item colour modification.

Regards,

Guigzmorez
Resolved with 0.71. Please find it here: http://docs.cacti.net/plugin:aggregate#aggregate
Reinhard

guigzmorez

GT mod => Can we migrate our 0.70 aggregated graphs to 0.

#64 Post by guigzmorez » Tue May 05, 2009 8:09 am

Hello Gandalf,

I confirm this new release of Aggregate corrects the GTmodification issue.
Thank-you!!! :P

Would you know if it is possible (and how) to migrate via a script my 0.70 aggregated graphs to 0.71 aggregated graphs or do I have to recreate all of them?

Because newly created graphs are OK but old ones keep the same poor behaviour.

Hopes hearing from you,
Bye.

Guigzmorez

bigchoice

Aggregate Graphs not Creating

#65 Post by bigchoice » Tue May 05, 2009 8:47 am

I am running v.0.8.7d with the aggregate plugin v.71 on CentOS 4.6. The plugin appears to be installed properly as I see it in plugin management and have the option in 'graph management' to 'create aggregate graphs'. However, when i select multiple items of the same graph type and try to create the aggregate graphs, they are not created. I do not get any errors, the graphs are simply not created. Has anyone seen this issue? i have read that THOLD may conflict with aggregate graphs, so i disabled and uninstalled THOLD. It still does not work. Please let me know if you can assist. thanks.

TheWitness
Developer

#66 Post by TheWitness » Tue May 05, 2009 7:49 pm

Did you install from Plugin Management or via the modification to the global.php plugin array?

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of MacTrack, Boost, CLog, SpikeKill, Platform RTM, DSStats, maintainer of Spine, lot's of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Central Templates Repository

I'm still out there people. Getting excited for Cacti 1.2. I think it will be a great release.

pthaynes
Cacti User

Unable to create aggregate graphs

#67 Post by pthaynes » Wed May 06, 2009 12:08 am

Hi,

I'm using version 0.71 of the aggregate plugin on Cacti version 0.8.7c. I installed the plugin by using:

Code: Select all

rm -rf /var/www/html/plugins/aggregate
tar -xzvf aggregate-latest.tgz
move aggregate /var/www/html/plugins/aggregate
chown -R apache:apache /var/www/html/plugins/aggregate
Once I did that I went to Plugin Management and installed and enabled the plugin.

I then clicked on graph management and then select a couple of graphs and "Create Aggregate Graph". I updated the screen as attached. After clicking on the Yes button I don't get an aggregate graph created.

I saw a previous post relating to problems with aggregate and the thold plugin, so I disabled that plugin and tried again. That made no difference.

The problem seems to be the same one as "bigchoice" has.

Is there any further information that I can provide that might help troubleshoot the issue?

Thanks
Attachments
aggregate.JPG
aggregate.JPG (183.59 KiB) Viewed 7037 times

bigchoice

#68 Post by bigchoice » Thu May 07, 2009 9:24 am

witness -

i tried both, i installed the plugin into plugin directory, added the plugin to global.php, then installed via 'plugin management' then enabled. I also tried removing it from plugin management, removing from global.php and then reinstalling via pluginmanagement then adding the entry to global.php. no luck. i am not getting any errors in http error_log, or cacti.log.

any ideas?

bigchoice

#69 Post by bigchoice » Thu May 07, 2009 9:26 am

fyi - my problem seems identical to pthaynes

gandalf
Developer

Re: GT mod => Can we migrate our 0.70 aggregated graphs t

#70 Post by gandalf » Thu May 07, 2009 2:32 pm

guigzmorez wrote:Hello Gandalf,

I confirm this new release of Aggregate corrects the GTmodification issue.
Thank-you!!! :P

Would you know if it is possible (and how) to migrate via a script my 0.70 aggregated graphs to 0.71 aggregated graphs or do I have to recreate all of them?

Because newly created graphs are OK but old ones keep the same poor behaviour.

Hopes hearing from you,
Bye.

Guigzmorez
Old graphs will not be touched. But it is possible to change them using plain sql. This will NOT repair broken graphs but prevent them to be broken ...
PM me if you are willing to run that SQL
Reinhard

gandalf
Developer

#71 Post by gandalf » Thu May 07, 2009 2:37 pm

bigchoice wrote:fyi - my problem seems identical to pthaynes
How did you verify? The new graph is not associated to any Graph Template. Are you able to run the aggregation in DEBUG mode to see the SQLs generated by the plugin?
Reinhard

pthaynes
Cacti User

[SOLVED] Unable to create aggregate graphs

#72 Post by pthaynes » Thu May 07, 2009 6:15 pm

Gandalf,

Sorry for wasting your time. I was looking under the host expecting to see the aggregate graph. Really I should have been searching through all graphs containing the name Aggregate. I did that search and there was my graph!!

So from there I have a minor feature request. If an aggregate graph is created from a number of graphs for a single host is it possible to relate that aggregate to that host. In my case I made this happen manually using an sql statement:

update graph_local set host_id=1 where id=476;
The aggregate was for localhost - which has host id of 1 and the graph that aggregate created was 476. I figured out the aggregate graph number by clicking on the name of the graph in the graph "list" view and then looking at the URL.

My other suggestion would be to change the template name to Aggregate for the graphs produced if that is possible. Currently the aggregate graphs show up as if they have no template.

Thanks again for a great plugin.

gandalf
Developer

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to create aggregate graphs

#73 Post by gandalf » Fri May 08, 2009 6:00 am

pthaynes wrote:So from there I have a minor feature request. If an aggregate graph is created from a number of graphs for a single host is it possible to relate that aggregate to that host. In my case I made this happen manually using an sql statement:

update graph_local set host_id=1 where id=476;
Ok. From my point of view this would be a corner case but it is possible to put this on the feature list. If you want to supply a patch, I surely will integrate it and release a new version asap.
My other suggestion would be to change the template name to Aggregate for the graphs produced if that is possible. Currently the aggregate graphs show up as if they have no template.
This is not possible. Graphs are not related to a Graph Template Name but to an "id" which in turn is related to a name. That's why I suggest to filter for Template=None, which, in most cases, should quite exactly give what you want; please verify. Then I may add this hint to the documentation.

Reinhard

pthaynes
Cacti User

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to create aggregate graphs

#74 Post by pthaynes » Sat May 09, 2009 9:42 pm

Gandalf,

Thanks for that. I'll look at writing a patch for associating aggregate graphs to the host they are related to (only if they relate to a single host).

Thanks,

Peter

blaz

#75 Post by blaz » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:56 pm

Hi Gandalf,

Thanks for the very useful plugin. We have several transit links, and I used your plugin to make a graph of our total aggregate transit. My concern is that if one of the transit links moves to another switch or another interfaces at some point in the future, that the historical data for my graph will become inaccurate. An example:

Say my transit links are as follows:

switch1 port1 ISP1
switch2 port1 ISP2

And I graph it like that for a year. Then, one day, we move our link for ISP2 to switch3 port1. Then, I change my aggregate graph to be as follows:

switch1 port1 ISP1
switch3 port1 ISP2

I do not leave switch2 port1 in the graph because we've repurposed that port for some use other than transit, and future data points on the aggregate graph would be wrong if it included those numbers in our aggregate transit totals.

At that point, won't the data on my aggregrate transit graph for the past year be wrong, since it won't show the bandwidth that had been on switch2 port1?

I may be wrong about the above, but since I can't find an RRD file for the aggregate graph, I am assuming that that is how it would work.

So, what I would really like is a way to store the aggregate data in its own RRD, so as links move around and are added and removed, both my historical data and my future data for 'total transit' remain accurate. Does this make sense?

It seems like one of a couple different enhancements would make this very easy:

1. If I could create a data source (I think that's the right term) that were comprised of multiple interfaces, possibly on different hosts. So, I could create a datasource where I listed the following:

switch1 port1
switch2 port1

And then it would poll those OIDs, and apply a function to them (in this case, a simple sum), and then store that data into its own RRD. It might be interesting to also have the ability to supply just the switch names, and a regex to match on the ifName table, so I could then just label my switch ports in the switch with a keyword (e.g., "transit"), and then supply the following:

regex: transit
hosts: switch1, switch2

2. The other possibility I could see would be to have a kind of meta-RRD, where I could define a new type of datasource that would take its values from a list of existing RRDs, and perform a function on them (e.g., SUM), and write them to a new RRD. This may be more difficult, and the aggregrate graph may then have to lag the real-time data, but it would make it so we do not have to poll the devices repeatedly to get the same data and store it in different places.

What I am doing in the meantime is I have written a script that reads in a list of switch/port combinations, and then polls those devices, sums the values, and prints out a total_in and a total_out. I will make a new data source for this script, and graph that instead. That way, if we rearrange our transit ports, I just have to edit the list of switch/port combinations to make sure that my future data is correct, and since my past data is safely stored in its own RRD, that data will remain correct, too.

Is there a better way that I'm overlooking to do what I want? Thank you for all your efforts!