Cacti (home)ForumsDocumentation
Cacti: offical forums and support
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Console clicks don't change page content w/certain plugins
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:28 pm 

I believe this is Quicktree/theme related but at this point I can't nail it down to anything in particular.

I have searched and don't see anyone else mentioning issues with Quicktree and themes (the only one it doesn't do this with is Classic);

This is a CentOS 7.4 machine with PHP 5.6.32:

Here's the example of what I see:

Changing to plugins via tabs seems to create a blank white screen that when I try and change pages via links on the console, does nothing. Inspecting the page, it looks like the content is there, but nothing is loading. The same appears in the latest builds (and fresh installs) of Chrome and Firefox, so it's not a cache problem.

Unrelated (I believe?); The console still shows "Weathermaps" despite the plugin showing as not installed.

Otherwise, Cacti appears to work fine (graphs, logs, data, upgrades, etc.) This has persisted across several versions. I am just using the latest installed (1.1.28).

Post subject: Re: Console clicks don't change page content w/certain plugi
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:24 pm 
Cacti User

Yep, it's pretty annoying but normally an F5 solves it for a while.

Server Info - Linux 3.10.0 - Centos 7
Web Server - Apache/2.4.6 PHP 5.4.16
MySQL - 5.5 ;RRDTool - 1.4.8 ;SNMP - 5.7.2
Religion - Anti forum pets
Code:
SYSTEM STATS: Time:17.7383 Method:spine Processes:1 Threads:10 Hosts:279 HostsPerProcess:279 DataSources:7309 RRDsProcessed:3718

Code:
WEATHERMAP STATS: Weathermap 0.98 run complete - Thu, 16 Nov 17 08:42:56 +1300: 39 maps were run in 23.22 seconds with 0 warnings.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:57 pm 

Pucho wrote:
Yep, it's pretty annoying but normally an F5 solves it for a while.

Yes, an F5 will load the page content for that moment. If I then click back to Quicktree, then click to any console page it goes back to the same exact situation as demonstrated.

If this is a known issue or bug. I understand. If not, I'll file a bug report (or maybe I should notify Howie)?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:40 am 
Cacti User

When a form button is clicked, there is javascript in place to convert that submit into an AJAX call that then replaces various content on the page when clicked. However, the content that is being returned may be returning invalid data from the QuickTree plugin. What version of cacti/quicktree are you using?

With regards to weathermap, it may be worth copying the plugin directory back in and then clicking disable then uninstall. If you just removed the directory, this does not run the uninstall code, so cacti will be seeing Weathermap in its plugin table in the database, hence you see it.

Cacti Releases

My resources:
How to submit Pull Requests
Updated NetSNMP Memory template for Cacti 1.x
Cisco SFP template for Cacti 0.8.8

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:21 pm 

netniV wrote:
When a form button is clicked, there is javascript in place to convert that submit into an AJAX call that then replaces various content on the page when clicked. However, the content that is being returned may be returning invalid data from the QuickTree plugin. What version of cacti/quicktree are you using?

With regards to weathermap, it may be worth copying the plugin directory back in and then clicking disable then uninstall. If you just removed the directory, this does not run the uninstall code, so cacti will be seeing Weathermap in its plugin table in the database, hence you see it.

Quicktree is on the latest version that I know to exist, 0.2. The blank page issue has been present as long as I can recall at least though the 1.1.2# updates and I'm now (on all my installs) at 1.1.30. It works fine when switching to the classic theme, and fails when using any other but primarily my experience is in using the 'modern' theme (as demonstrated).

Weathermap is its own issue. I had hoped there was a way to make it Weathermap 0.98 and Cacti 1.1.## function but despite my account age, I've not had access to the PM feature. Howie's posts and forum indicate that the new code is nowhere near usable and many forum users indicate using both, but I cannot make the weathermaps function together. As useful as a tool as Weathermap is, I'm surprised there isn't something to replace it or others helping with the code (as I am certainly not competent to do so).

Thanks for the feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:29 pm 
Cacti User

Weathermaps was good for 0.8.8 and still is if that is the verison that's being used. However, 1.1.30 of cacti is definitely got more going for the base system than 0.8.8. In my opinion at least :)

Weathermap is undergoing active development, so hopefully it won't be too long now before it's completed (I'll just keep nagging Howie).

On the quicktree front, I'll take a look at that and see if I can see why it's causing the "whiteout" effect. I suspect it's because it's returning invalid data and as such doesn't include the expected element that gets replaced on the next call which then causes a problem for pretty much every other ajax call.

Cacti Releases

My resources:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:25 pm 

netniV wrote:
On the quicktree front, I'll take a look at that and see if I can see why it's causing the "whiteout" effect. I suspect it's because it's returning invalid data and as such doesn't include the expected element that gets replaced on the next call which then causes a problem for pretty much every other ajax call.

Thanks for that! Seemingly I'm not alone, Pucho above mentioned having the same issue so maybe there's a common issue with old plugins/new themes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:44 am 
Cacti User

Yes, the problem appears to be with howie's code. I've updated it to work with Cacti 1.x and created a pull request for his online repo where he had already started the 1.x work.

You can download my pre-release from:
https://github.com/netniV/cacti-quicktr ... g/1.0-beta

Howie's official repo is at:
https://github.com/howardjones/cacti-quicktree

Cacti Releases

My resources:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:26 pm 

netniV wrote:
Yes, the problem appears to be with howie's code. I've updated it to work with Cacti 1.x and created a pull request for his online repo where he had already started the 1.x work.

You can download my pre-release from:
https://github.com/netniV/cacti-quicktr ... g/1.0-beta

Howie's official repo is at:
https://github.com/howardjones/cacti-quicktree

In my brief testing, it works well. I'll let you know if I notice anything out of the ordinary.
Thank you for the quick work and for this release!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:45 pm 
Cacti User

Thanks for that. Let me know what you think to this release:
https://github.com/netniV/cacti-quicktr ... 1.0-beta.2

It's had quite a bit of a rework but it's still the same underlying functionality :)

Cacti Releases

My resources:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:54 pm 
Cacti User

Additionally, I have logged a separate issue regarding the tab interface, because should a plugin have an error, it should be handled rather than ignored. In some circumstances, clicking a tab could actually collapse/expand the sidebar which is worse than doing nothing :)

Cacti Releases

My resources:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:16 am 

netniV wrote:
Thanks for that. Let me know what you think to this release:
https://github.com/netniV/cacti-quicktr ... 1.0-beta.2

It's had quite a bit of a rework but it's still the same underlying functionality :)

I did a quick compare of the code to see if it was something I could manage, should I run into issues with others and quickly realized it was not a simple change :-)

As for the tab system, I have noticed others (even some cacti packaged plugins) that do have the mentioned issue from time to time, so addressing the issue as mentioned would hopefully cleanup page loads instead of causing frustration. Thanks again!

Edit: Fun side note. phpBB doesn't handle emoji in posts. Whoops.

Attachments:
Screenshot_20180113-001619-01.jpeg
Screenshot_20180113-001619-01.jpeg [ 152.1 KiB | Viewed 65 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:14 am 
Cacti User

Well, if you compare v0.7 to v1.0-beta.1, you should see that change wasn't so major. Most of it was just reworking the layout into a tabular format so it was cleaner. Not really necessary for every plugin.
https://github.com/netniV/cacti-quicktr ... d97e1c843a

However, as Howie mentioned on my pull request, it isn't a great UI if you have to tell people where to click. So, going from beta.1 to beta.2 took longer! Reason was that I reskinned QuickTree to look as if it just belonged in the system rather than giving it's own separate UI style. This in turn had various issues which took quite a few hours to resolve (mostly because it's a plugin not base code).
See: https://github.com/netniV/cacti-quicktr ... .0-beta.2a

Source tags/releases may be slightly confusing if your poking around there. Unfortunately, before I released it, I hadn't seen that Howie had added a 1.0-beta.2 already, so hence I have a beta tag which is really beta.1 and a -beta.2a which is MY beta.2 rather than Howie's beta.2 which was from back in may.

One thing to note though is, it's really Howie's plugin not mine so he could reject my changes if he wants to do something different (say to keep it in sync with WeatherMap UI) it could all change so I would keep an eye on his repo for the final release. Also the reason I've marked all mine as a pre-release.

Cacti Releases

My resources:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:50 pm 

netniV wrote:
Well, if you compare v0.7 to v1.0-beta.1, you should see that change wasn't so major. Most of it was just reworking the layout into a tabular format so it was cleaner. Not really necessary for every plugin.
https://github.com/netniV/cacti-quicktr ... d97e1c843a

However, as Howie mentioned on my pull request, it isn't a great UI if you have to tell people where to click. So, going from beta.1 to beta.2 took longer! Reason was that I reskinned QuickTree to look as if it just belonged in the system rather than giving it's own separate UI style. This in turn had various issues which took quite a few hours to resolve (mostly because it's a plugin not base code).
See: https://github.com/netniV/cacti-quicktr ... .0-beta.2a

Source tags/releases may be slightly confusing if your poking around there. Unfortunately, before I released it, I hadn't seen that Howie had added a 1.0-beta.2 already, so hence I have a beta tag which is really beta.1 and a -beta.2a which is MY beta.2 rather than Howie's beta.2 which was from back in may.

One thing to note though is, it's really Howie's plugin not mine so he could reject my changes if he wants to do something different (say to keep it in sync with WeatherMap UI) it could all change so I would keep an eye on his repo for the final release. Also the reason I've marked all mine as a pre-release.

I did star it there to keep an eye on things. I follow things on github here and there, but as a very passive dev, my skillset is very mixed. I had looked and had never seen anything from Howie on github either, so that's interesting. Either way, I understand it's not yours persay, but the work is still appreciated!