intent to retire cacti in Fedora and EPEL

Post support questions that directly relate to Linux/Unix operating systems.

Moderators: Moderators, Developers

Author

intent to retire cacti in Fedora and EPEL

#1 Post by ktdreyer » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:29 pm

Hi folks,

I'm posting this here so it gets as much publicity as possible: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/piperma ... 03695.html

As explained in the above email, there are a number of issues that push me in the direction of removing Cacti from Fedora and EPEL. I've changed jobs and my new employer doesn't use Cacti, but that doesn't stop others from continuing the package maintenance work. If upstream can resolve the CVEs and remove the non-free Javascript bits, perhaps it could be put back into the distro by someone else.

phalek
Cacti Guru User

Re: intent to retire cacti in Fedora and EPEL

#2 Post by phalek » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:36 am

At least some good news: One of the devs (cigamit) just added several fixes for these CVEs to the SVN repository, so there's going to be some patches for these.

Not sure about the javascript part ( that's the "tree" ) but Paul Gevers (maintainer of the debian port" already has a patch for that removing the GPL violating code from upstream.
Greetings,
Phalek
---
Need more help ? Read the Cacti documentation or my new Cacti 1.x Book
Need on-site support ? Look here Cacti Workshop
Need professional Cacti support ? Look here CereusService
---
Plugins : CereusTransporter | CereusReporting | nmidWebService | nmidSmokeping | nmidWeb2 |

Code: Select all

CereusServer Master:  SYSTEM STATS: Time:2.5621 Method:spine Processes:1 Threads:16 Hosts:446 HostsPerProcess:446 DataSources:14683 RRDsProcessed:7573
CereusServer Agent:   SYSTEM STATS: Time:27.4840 Method:spine Processes:1 Threads:8 Hosts:16 HostsPerProcess:16 DataSources:114576 RRDsProcessed:48061
[/size]

TheWitness
Developer

Re: intent to retire cacti in Fedora and EPEL

#3 Post by TheWitness » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:48 am

No, I'm not dead yet. Project still breathes lightly though.
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of MacTrack, Boost, CLog, SpikeKill, Platform RTM, DSStats, maintainer of Spine, lot's of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Central Templates Repository

I'm still out there people. Getting excited for Cacti 1.2. I think it will be a great release.