Installation of Cacti server on Ubuntu 18.04 never progresses from 0%

Post support questions that directly relate to Linux/Unix operating systems.

Moderators: Moderators, Developers

Author

Installation of Cacti server on Ubuntu 18.04 never progresses from 0%

#1 Post by dylancorreia » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:35 am

Hi Everyone,

I have installed (twice) a fresh ubuntu 1804 server, and install Cacti 1.2.7 using a Hyper-V host using the guide on this link;
https://www.itzgeek.com/how-tos/linux/u ... eaver.html

Everything seemed to go well, all pre-requisite checks were fine after tweaking timezone info and the following conf files;
/etc/php/7.2/apache2/php.ini
/etc/php/7.2/cli/php.ini
/etc/mysql/maria.db.conf.d/50-server.cnf

But.... No matter what, the installation stalls at 0% after selecting the installation of setting the server as a new Primary Server as per the screenshot. Anyone have any suggestions as to where to start, I cannot find anything out of the norm in mysql or apache logs and am at a loss as to where to carry on. The one thing that gave me a tiny bit of trouble right at the outset was a mismatch in timezone info, where the host server was set to CEST but Apache was set to Europe/Gibraltar, but after making it all Europe/Gibraltar everything worked fine (pre-req wise) so much so that I got to the installation point and selecting a Primary server installation. I have also confirmed that the user admin is part of Realm 26 as some other posts mentioned this.

Many Thanks for any potential help!
Dylan
cacti 0%.PNG
cacti 0%.PNG (28.12 KiB) Viewed 383 times
Attachments
cacti DB realm 26.txt
(316 Bytes) Downloaded 6 times
cacti apache error log.txt
(2.41 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
cacti sql error log.txt
(3.59 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

netniV
Cacti Guru User

Re: Installation of Cacti server on Ubuntu 18.04 never progresses from 0%

#2 Post by netniV » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:00 am

Can you set log_install to 5 in the settings table within MySQL, then run the installer again. However, I suspect that the issue is likely the path_php_binary also in settings is pointing at an invalid binary file. However, that should have been picked up already.

Check the logs/install-complete.log for debug information on what the install is performing.

dylancorreia

#3 Post by dylancorreia » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:56 am

Great thanks, will do this and advise.

desertmnasd

#4 Post by desertmnasd » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:55 pm

There is a really good goby here https://computingforgeeks.com/how-to-in ... ntu-18-04/ BUT using apt-get installation method be aware that the install does not create the /opt/cacti directory.

My solution was to point DocumentRoot in /etc/apache2/sites-available/000-default.conf to /usr/share/cacti/site/include

Hope this helps.

dylancorreia

#5 Post by dylancorreia » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:07 am

Thanks for your responses, I tried another installation guide from Computing for Geeks (thanks desertmnasd!) and it actually worked - I believe I pretty much did everything the same and absolutely made sure that the timezones across the host, MariaDB and PHP (& cli) were consistent prior to running the installer for a new primary server , so possibly(?) this caused my issue.

Anyways, now working and I am very happy, it's a very nice upgrade from CactiEZ 0.7 to the latest v1.2.7 :)

Thanks again everyone!
Dylan