[SOLVED]Need Clarification on permissions

Post support questions that directly relate to Linux/Unix operating systems.

Moderators: Moderators, Developers

Author
Cacti User

[SOLVED]Need Clarification on permissions

#1 Post by eholz1 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:03 pm

Hello All,

Sorry to bring this up again. I am running cacti-1.2.7 on Red Hat 7.5.
I have many devices, with graphs. It was graphing nicely..

Then I messed up the permissions somehow somewhere and the rrd files are no longer reporting data to the graphs.

I have the poller running as the "cacti" user a cron job every 5 minutes, in /etc/cron.d/cacti

the log file directory is owned by the cacti user and does get updated, etc.d

I think the rra directory (and subsequent files) WERE owned my apache:apache. I do not remember what the actual permissoins were (666,777,etc)
I changed the owner using chown -R cacti:cacti and I think that is what broke everything.

Can I get a clear definition of what the persmissons should be for this version of Cacti?
who should own the rrd files and the rra directory (as well as the log dir), what should the numbers be on the folders (777,666. etc)
Should the ower be cacti and should cacti be in the apache group?

I am not happy to have broken all my graphing because of a permissons/owner error.
I cannot run the poller as the cacti user from the command line. Any tips,

eholz1
Last edited by eholz1 on Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

netniV
Cacti Guru User

Re: Need Clarification on permissions

#2 Post by netniV » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:32 pm

Your poller and website user should belong to a common group. The group should have write access to the shared items such as RRA's and logs.

eholz1
Cacti User

Re: [SOLVED]Need Clarification on permissions

#3 Post by eholz1 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:16 am

Hello netniV,

Thanks again for the reply. Actually another post by you suggesting to use the datasource
troubleshooting feature of cacti was the link to fix for me!
I assumed that "poller" in your post above is my user "cacti" as that user runs the poller.php via a cron job.
website was easy: apache.

I ran the troubleshooter for the datasource in question - and it was saying that the rra folder was not writable.
I changed the ownership to apache:apache first - no dice - same error.
Then following your reply here I changed it to cacti:apache - {cacti is a member of the apache group}.
Presto-Chango! it works!

Thanks for the obvious fix which became obvious after your reply.

Thanks Again,

eholz1
p.s the cacti-1.2.7 is a great release (been using and breaking cacti since version 0.8!) :D

eholz1
Cacti User

Re: [SOLVED]Need Clarification on permissions

#4 Post by eholz1 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:46 am

Hello,

One more question - the datasource troubleshooter gives the datasource(s) a green check mark.
But my graphs have no data showing. The rrd files seem to be updated. If I click the "realtime" feature on
a graph - it shows data coming in. but I get no grapsh display when I turn off the realtime feature.

What else is wrong here?

Thanks,

eholz1