I'm totally lost in the documentation...

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Moderators, Developers

Author

I'm totally lost in the documentation...

#1 Post by TvL2386 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:28 pm

Hi people,

I am searching for a nice howto that explains in simple terms how to create your own templates/graphs. I've been trying to go through the documentation, but I get totally lost.

What I have are 3 OID's. 2 are counters and 1 is a gauge. I would like to create a template which I can attach to a host so that the 3 OID's are monitored for that host.

I'd like the template to automatically create 2 graphs for it. 1 for the gauge and 1 for the 2 counters. The 2 counters must use the CDEF "Make per 5 minutes".

I thought this would be a simple start for myself to understand cacti and would be my stepup for more interesting things, but I'm lost...

Can somebody explain in detail what to do to accomplish this or can someone point me in the right direction?

BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

#2 Post by BSOD2600 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Have you looked at http://docs.cacti.net/manual:087:3_templates#templates ?

Are the OIDs indexed? If not, then you have two options:
1) create a data template for each oid.
2) fake an Index to cacti so you can create a SNMP Data Query (more point and click graph creation... like the existing cpu/disk/interface templates). Example of how to fake an index http://docs.cacti.net/howto:data_query_ ... _not_exist

gandalf
Developer

#3 Post by gandalf » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:18 pm

Please refer to the exact place of the docs that is badly written. With your help, I will make it better.
R.

TvL2386

#4 Post by TvL2386 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:13 am

I'm really sorry if I gave the impression that the documentation is badly written in some places. The main problem is my understanding of snmp and cacti. I'm not very good at it yet, but really want to master this.

The documentation explains all the different aspects of cacti, but somehow I seem to be unable to put everything together and create my own templates. I don't know where to start and what I need.

Maybe I'm the only one struggling, but I'd really like to see a step-by-step guide for creating a template from scratch for multiple OID's with or without index all the way up to binding it to a host template.

@BSOD2600:
The OID's are not indexed. I've extended snmpd with 3 scripts to display a single value at some OID. So I must fake the index.

TvL2386

#5 Post by TvL2386 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:30 am

Wow, I finally did it! :-)
I've been struggling for so long now with Cacti, that I thought I would never understand how the templating works. But I do now!

I've created 4 data templates and put them in a graph template :-)

I have a program for monitoring linux nodes and the server can be monitored using snmp extend scripts. See my graph!

It was actually quite simple! I feel a bit stupid now for having opened this thread... :)
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (29.05 KiB) Viewed 1375 times

gandalf
Developer

#6 Post by gandalf » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:26 am

TvL2386 wrote:It was actually quite simple! I feel a bit stupid now for having opened this thread... :)
Don't do so. Most of us started this way ...
R.

[vr]

#7 Post by [vr] » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:04 pm

Might help others (like me) who eventually try to follow you down this path if you share what obstacles or misunderstandings you experienced with the documentation and the process as a follow up and closure to this thread.
Cacti: 0.8.7e (from cacti.net)
Plugin Architecture: 2.5

gandalf
Developer

#8 Post by gandalf » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:32 pm

TvL2386 wrote:I'm really sorry if I gave the impression that the documentation is badly written in some places.
If you can't make Cacti work, it's badly written, full stop.
The main problem is my understanding of snmp and cacti. I'm not very good at it yet, but really want to master this.
Ok, an SNMP intro is not intended to be part of our documentation. There are (hopefully) already some hints out there. We only explain the installation procedure for net-snmp.
The documentation explains all the different aspects of cacti, but somehow I seem to be unable to put everything together and create my own templates. I don't know where to start and what I need.
Again, then it's badly written. If you master it at some point in time, then please provide hints! What made you understand better? Well, it's a dokuwiki, so you can improve it on your own.

R.