Use existing MIBs or use own scripts?

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Moderators, Developers

Author

Use existing MIBs or use own scripts?

#1 Post by gab1234 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:00 am

Hi,

I want to monitor some variables from wifi routers with openwrt. I know it's possible to use remote scripts to get data, send it via snmp and receive it with cacti. But before writing some scripts, i'd like to be sure that there's no existing OIDs that would get the same info that my scripts. I've been searching the web but i'm confused, it seems there's a lot of existing MIBs, but i'm not sure how to search for a specific variable, and most important, if that OID is available in my routers.

Besides, i've seen the "Karlnet - Wireless Bridge Statistics", but i don't know exactly which variables it can get. When i activated it with verbose query i got no answer from my router:

+ Running data query [3].
+ Found type = '3' [SNMP Query].
+ Found data query XML file at '/usr/share/cacti/site/resource/snmp_queries/kbridge.xml'
+ XML file parsed ok.
+ <oid_num_indexes> missing in XML file, 'Index Count Changed' emulated by counting oid_index entries
+ Executing SNMP walk for list of indexes @ '.1.3.6.1.4.1.762.2.5.2.1.1' Index Count: 0
+ No SNMP data returned

I'd appreciate some help on this topics.

BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Re: Use existing MIBs or use own scripts?

#2 Post by BSOD2600 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:57 pm

Consult with the openwrt for which MIBs they implement, to find out what variables are supported. Another method could be performing a snmpwalk starting at .1 (logging to file) and then seeing if you data appears to be in there, then finding what MIB(s) are associated with the OID(s). http://oidview.com/ is a useful site and/or Google.

gab1234

#3 Post by gab1234 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:04 pm

Thanks for your reply. I'll try that.

Instigater
Cacti User

#4 Post by Instigater » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:02 am

BSOD2600 wrote:Consult with the openwrt for which MIBs they implement, to find out what variables are supported. Another method could be performing a snmpwalk starting at .1 (logging to file) and then seeing if you data appears to be in there, then finding what MIB(s) are associated with the OID(s). http://oidview.com/ is a useful site and/or Google.
This procedure will not reveal all the tree of OIDs. Most of the devices that respond to standard SNMP MIB will not continue to device specific one. The best way is to get a documentation about supported MIBs and start snmpwalk from the base of that branch. The needed branch will always start with .1.3.6.1.4.1.xxx where xxx is manufacturer id of device.
Standard SNMPv2-MIB starts with 1.3.6.1.2.xxx