Why is this graph dipping?

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Moderators, Developers

Author

Why is this graph dipping?

#1 Post by aaron.glenn » Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:00 am

At first I thought the Cisco was spitting false values to cacti, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I've ran the snmpwalk on the outgoing OID and haven't had a problem. Granted I haven't fully grasped the way RRD's work, I'd still like to know what exactly could be causing this very strange behavior.

Running 0.8.6b (you'll note the tiny blank spot, that's me forgetting to chown the .rrd files :p) on FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE with php 4.3.9.

Regards,
aaron.glenn
Attachments
dips.png
Porque?!
dips.png (6.6 KiB) Viewed 1725 times

aaron.glenn

#2 Post by aaron.glenn » Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:06 am

I should note this is the only gigabit port I'm graphing. I have 10 other graphs on FastE ports that are working flawlessly. Just this GigE port on just this switch, and seemingly just when it starts hovering above 110Mbps.

rony
Developer/Forum Admin

#3 Post by rony » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:14 am

Try using the 64-bit graph template, see if the problem goes away.
[size=117][i][b]Tony Roman[/b][/i][/size]
[size=84][i]Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]There are only 3 way to complete a project: Good, Fast or Cheap, pick two.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]With age comes wisdom, what you choose to do with it determines whether or not you are wise.[/i][/size]

Basilio Cat

#4 Post by Basilio Cat » Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:15 am

That's definitely caused by 32-bit counters. They can wrap twice in 5-minutes interval if bps exceeds ~110 mbit.

aaron.glenn

#5 Post by aaron.glenn » Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:00 pm

rony wrote:Try using the 64-bit graph template, see if the problem goes away.
I only have one 95% graph template, and was under the impression it used a 64bit counter...?

rony
Developer/Forum Admin

#6 Post by rony » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:45 pm

By the way your graph looks, I would say no.

Try the 64 bit counters, if need be, I can create a 64 bit 96th template for you.
[size=117][i][b]Tony Roman[/b][/i][/size]
[size=84][i]Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]There are only 3 way to complete a project: Good, Fast or Cheap, pick two.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]With age comes wisdom, what you choose to do with it determines whether or not you are wise.[/i][/size]

aaron.glenn

#7 Post by aaron.glenn » Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:58 pm

rony wrote:By the way your graph looks, I would say no.

Try the 64 bit counters, if need be, I can create a 64 bit 96th template for you.
how do I change the counters?