Very large number of variables, Cacti is having trouble with

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Moderators, Developers

Author

Very large number of variables, Cacti is having trouble with

#1 Post by Hitch » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:55 pm

I'm running Cacti version 8.8f.
I've been using Cacti for many years, monitoring 18 Cisco cmts's. We have now purchased a new CBR8, and I have it working, but Cacti is having some troubles when I try to create graphs. Any web browser I use simply stops responding, even after an hour or so.
I found a way to get around this, and that is to go to another device, select only one of the graph types, and after a while, I can select my graphs.
I've added a pic with what the cmts has in it.
We have 7 more of these units ordered.
I guess my question is, are there any variables I can adjust in Cacti to help with these huge numbers?

I am running on an octa-core dell server with 32gigs of ram, and Centos 6.7. The box is having no troubles graphing all graphs once I get them all in, but I'm a bit concerned about the sheer numbers of interfaces this thing brings into the picture.
Attachments
cbr8-info-for-cacti.png
cbr8-info-for-cacti.png (22.66 KiB) Viewed 696 times

micke2k
Cacti User

Re: Very large number of variables, Cacti is having trouble

#2 Post by micke2k » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:25 am

The script isnt timing out or anything? Do you see anything in the logs regarding timeouts etc? Check /var/log/httpd/error_log.

Also maybe increasing memory limit in php.ini.

Thats alot of interfaces...

Hitch

#3 Post by Hitch » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:55 am

Thanks for that tip, I hadn't thought of that!

I bumped memory in php.ini from 128m to 256m. I'm not a php expert, so I don't know if that's still not high enough. I don't want to play too much, as this box is pretty much what is used by our isp and our tsr's to help them troubleshoot devices. I guess I need to build a lab cacti and play.

It worked, but there are a bunch of other problems.

1. It took almost 7 minutes to load the entire page, with 'not responding' messages in my browser until it finished. There were no errors in apache's log file, so I'm thinking part of the problem was the browser setting itself up for something this large, but I can't say for sure. Looking at cpu load and top while I was trying to load the page, I saw nothing unusual.
2. After that time, the graph selection was over 3 pages, with Cacti set to 5000 per page.
3. Going from page to page was almost 3 minutes until it loaded the new page.

I'm thinking that my original way of doing it, (going to another, smaller device and selecting only one of the categories, then exiting and going to this beast) is the way to go. Its a bit cumbersome, but it doesn't balk near as much as the other way.

Hitch

micke2k
Cacti User

#4 Post by micke2k » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:23 pm

Hitch wrote:Thanks for that tip, I hadn't thought of that!

I bumped memory in php.ini from 128m to 256m. I'm not a php expert, so I don't know if that's still not high enough. I don't want to play too much, as this box is pretty much what is used by our isp and our tsr's to help them troubleshoot devices. I guess I need to build a lab cacti and play.

It worked, but there are a bunch of other problems.

1. It took almost 7 minutes to load the entire page, with 'not responding' messages in my browser until it finished. There were no errors in apache's log file, so I'm thinking part of the problem was the browser setting itself up for something this large, but I can't say for sure. Looking at cpu load and top while I was trying to load the page, I saw nothing unusual.
2. After that time, the graph selection was over 3 pages, with Cacti set to 5000 per page.
3. Going from page to page was almost 3 minutes until it loaded the new page.

I'm thinking that my original way of doing it, (going to another, smaller device and selecting only one of the categories, then exiting and going to this beast) is the way to go. Its a bit cumbersome, but it doesn't balk near as much as the other way.

Hitch

Yeah, its definitely not designed for 100k interfaces :) Even when i poll a device with 250 interfaces it usually hangs for a while (5 sec ish).

I run 1024 php memory, so try installing a lab box and tweaking the settings.