Custom Reporting for Port Details

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Moderators, Developers

Author

Custom Reporting for Port Details

#1 Post by Cornel » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:56 pm

So, im looking to do a port mapper type report. My switches description has the port that the device is plugged in (Ex: Jack #233B). What I want is a way to get just the Switch Interface and Alias (Desc) into some type of searchable report.
How can I accomplish this with Cacti? Is it possible, or do I have to install a third party plugin?
Thanks...

Pucho
Cacti User

Re: Custom Reporting for Port Details

#2 Post by Pucho » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:38 pm

I think the closest to what you want is the MacTrack plugin.

Needs to be a report? what is exactly what you want? Be able to export it? with traffic details or just to print switchname + interface desc ?

Depending on what's the end result you want you could achieve some things with automation rules for example. If you only want to see switch name and its interface desc you could create a graph automation rule with reg expressions and that's it.
cacti_graph_auto8-rule.png
cacti_graph_auto8-rule.png (98.84 KiB) Viewed 217 times
Cacti - 1.1.37
Poller Type - Spine
Weathermap 0.98a
Server Info - Linux 3.10.0 - Centos 7
Web Server - Apache/2.4.6 PHP 5.4.16
MySQL - 5.5 ;RRDTool - 1.4.8 ;SNMP - 5.7.2
Religion - Anti forum pets

Code: Select all

SYSTEM STATS: Time:17.7383 Method:spine Processes:1 Threads:10 Hosts:279 HostsPerProcess:279 DataSources:7309 RRDsProcessed:3718

Code: Select all

WEATHERMAP STATS: Weathermap 0.98 run complete - Thu, 16 Nov 17 08:42:56 +1300: 39 maps were run in 23.22 seconds with 0 warnings.

Cornel

#3 Post by Cornel » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:48 am

Yes I just want to see the switch ports and their desc(Alias). We used to have a sharepoint website where I used to be able to put all my network port jack numbers, along with the switch port, that way whenever a user needs to switch networks or change computers, I would go to the sharepoint (kinda like a excel sheet online type thing) site and search for the jack number. I would then be able to get the switch name and port number. Then I would make my necessary changes.
We went away from that Sharepoint site, so now im stuck with having to go thru every switch, do a show interface status and look for the interface desc and match the location port, but I have to do that to 12 switches, which is a paint. I could also have it in an excel sheet, but since Cacti pulls all the info already, might as well not duplicate work and get the details out of its data.

You said" If you only want to see switch name and its interface desc you could create a graph automation rule with reg expressions and that's it."

How can I accomplish that?

Osiris
Cacti Pro User

#4 Post by Osiris » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:13 am

1) Use MacTrack
2) Create a small plugin to get data from MacTrack and output as JSON
3) Display table using JSON data via callback/ajax request to plugun.

Honestly, the hardest part will be getting MacTrack going. The plugin is like 5 minutes work.
Before history, there was a paradise, now dust.