Cacti (home)ForumsDocumentation
Cacti: offical forums and support
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: [1.1.x] Offline Remote Pollers
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:13 am 

Cacti remote pollers are fantastic. I really like the new architecture. I've been using 0.8.8 for a little over a year and I'm just getting myself familiar with the new version.
After setting up our system (we have 11 remote cacti servers but for now I'm only setting up 2), I have a couple questions regarding the Offline state:

First, is SELinux required to be off? I noticed that the remote poller will not recover to an "online" state unless it is disabled on both remote installation and main installation.

Second, is there an easy way to look for issues between remote poller and main poller? Our systems are set up strangely (by requirement) with lots of locked down settings and stuff.

Third, is there a way to view debug for the full sync process between servers? I ask this because when trying to force an "offline" state (stopping mysqld and httpd on main Cacti server), the remote poller doesn't appear to be properly in offline mode. System stats always say 0 Data Sources and 0 Hosts, and 0 offline records. I'm guessing it has something to do with the full sync process, which is why I want to make sure that the remote database is getting properly populated.

Info:
Cacti version (all servers): 1.1.16
OS version: CentOS/RHEL 6
MySQL version: 5.1.73
PHP version: 5.3.3

I know our stuff's old, we don't get updates very frequently. If there's a required dependency version for full remote functionality, that'd be great to know.

Post subject: Re: [1.1.x] Offline Remote Pollers
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:22 am 
Cacti Guru User

Hi

There should be some logging, but you should also be able to see these in the mysql logs ( "log" option, see here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/303 ... s-in-mysql )

Example (code) for such a log message from the https://github.com/Cacti/cacti/blob/dev ... poller.php file:
Code:
      cacti_log('NOTE: Table ' . $table . ' Replicated to Remote Poller ' . $remote_poller_id . ' With ' . $rows_done . ' Rows Updated');

Need more help ? Read the Cacti documentation or my new Cacti 1.x Book
Need on-site support ? Look here Cacti Workshop
Need professional Cacti support ? Look here CereusService
---
Plugins : CereusTransporter | CereusReporting | nmidWebService | nmidSmokeping | nmidWeb2 |

Code:
CereusServer Master:  SYSTEM STATS: Time:2.5621 Method:spine Processes:1 Threads:16 Hosts:446 HostsPerProcess:446 DataSources:14683 RRDsProcessed:7573
CereusServer Agent:   SYSTEM STATS: Time:27.4840 Method:spine Processes:1 Threads:8 Hosts:16 HostsPerProcess:16 DataSources:114576 RRDsProcessed:48061

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:46 am 

Thanks.

Turns out hostnames weren't set for the MySQL databases in the db.conf files, so the main poller was syncing with "localhost" (i.e., itself and not the remote poller).
That's been resolved, so now I just have to look into SELinux issues.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:29 am 
Cacti Guru User

Hi alog243

Just finsihed my last Chapter of my book dealing with the remote poller concept. Seems like there are some things you need to take care of:

• Hostname will be localhost when you initially add a remote poller -> Check each entry in "Console -> Data Collection -> Data Collector" and change that to the correct remote IP/Hostname
  • When not using root as poller you may get access/permission errors. -> Set the following acls on the rra/log directories
    Code:
    setfacl -d -m group:apache:rw /var/www/html/cacti/rra
    setfacl -d -m group:apache:rw /var/www/html/cacti/log
  • The On-Demand boost option only works after the structured path has been created. Hence you either have to wait for the timeout to occurr, or set the max item to 1 to force it to create the paths. Afterwards the on-demand update works

Need more help ? Read the Cacti documentation or my new Cacti 1.x Book
Need on-site support ? Look here Cacti Workshop
Need professional Cacti support ? Look here CereusService
---
Plugins : CereusTransporter | CereusReporting | nmidWebService | nmidSmokeping | nmidWeb2 |

Code:
CereusServer Master:  SYSTEM STATS: Time:2.5621 Method:spine Processes:1 Threads:16 Hosts:446 HostsPerProcess:446 DataSources:14683 RRDsProcessed:7573
CereusServer Agent:   SYSTEM STATS: Time:27.4840 Method:spine Processes:1 Threads:8 Hosts:16 HostsPerProcess:16 DataSources:114576 RRDsProcessed:48061