Cacti to Monitor Spanned Port.

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Moderators, Developers

Author

Cacti to Monitor Spanned Port.

#1 Post by jimpay » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:05 am

I am trying to monitor the bandwidth of a spanned port. For instance I am mirroring port 3 to port 1. Port 3 is vlan interface sending its traffic to an IDS sensor. I want to be able to monitor the bandwidth of the traffic that that is passing through port 1. There may come a time that I need to mirror another vlan interface to port 1 and would like to see the bandwidth increases created. I cant monitor port 3 directly because it is a vlan interface or a vtap. Does anyone know of a way to do this or whether or not it is even possible with cacti?

camerabob
Cacti User

Re: Cacti to Monitor Spanned Port.

#2 Post by camerabob » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:19 am

I can understand why you cannot get traffic statistics on a VLAN, but port1 is port1, a physical interface. There should be no reason why you could not get the traffic passing across that interface. What type (brand/model) of device is this?
See the Cacti 1.x templates I use at: http://www.camerabob.com/cacti

Live: Cacti 1.2.3 @ CentOS 7-6.1810.2.el7 & PHP 5.4.16-46.el7
Flowview @ 2.1
Mactrack @ 4.2
Maint @ 1.2
Monitor @ 2.3.6
Thold @ 1.2.4

Test: Cacti 1.2.4 @ CentOS 7-6.1810.2.el7 & PHP 5.4.16-46.el7
Maint @ 1.2
Monitor @ 2.3.6
Thold @ 1.2.4

jimpay

#3 Post by jimpay » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:30 pm

Agreed. I totally get that aspect. The physical port is what has stumped me as well. This is an S Series Extreme/Enterasys chassis based switch. In the IDS itself, I can certainly see traffic being sent to the sensor from within the alerts and they are IP addresses from the corresponding vlan subnet. Just for some reason, Cacti is either not seeing the statistics because it is mirrored or something along those lines. However, I do not understand why that would be.

netniV
Cacti Guru User

#4 Post by netniV » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:25 am

Use SNMPWALK to see what values you are getting back for the interfaces. If you are unsure of the OIDs being used, check the interface.xml file in resources/snmp_queries. You may need to then go a bit wider and see what you are getting data returned for on that port because the chances are it's not the standard OID's so you're going to have to write a customised template for it.

jimpay

#5 Post by jimpay » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:26 am

Please overlook my ignorance bu I am not sure of how to perform that within cacti. Not the snmp guru.

netniV
Cacti Guru User

#6 Post by netniV » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:57 am

SNMPWALK is a cli program on Linux. The interface.xml file is in the resources/scripts folder of your cacti installation.