Linux 1.2.2 post install log error

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Moderators, Developers

Author
Cacti User

Linux 1.2.2 post install log error

#1 Post by hipsterdoofus » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:36 pm

I did an upgrade from 1.1.36 up to 1.2.2. I did have it working (and it seems to still be running from what I can tell of the log files) but when I try to go to the page, I get:

System log file is not available for writing, please enable write access Log: /var/www/html/cacti/log/cacti.log

I've seen this error listed in some bug reports. Some mention of selinux or permissions, if I turn of selinux temporarily it doesn't seen to work. Any suggestions? I don't to make things worse by over "loosening" up things. This is on CentOS 7.

eholz1
Cacti User

Re: Linux 1.2.2 post install log error

#2 Post by eholz1 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:40 pm

you just need to insure that the file /var/www/html/cacti/log/cacti.log
is created and the file and the dir are owned by cacti - or possibly apache
you can try the cacti user first.

The same permissions are required for the rra/* directory as well..

ARe you running on Linux? if so what version? What version is apache and php

Good luck,
eholz1

hipsterdoofus
Cacti User

#3 Post by hipsterdoofus » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:31 pm

eholz1 wrote:you just need to insure that the file /var/www/html/cacti/log/cacti.log
is created and the file and the dir are owned by cacti - or possibly apache
you can try the cacti user first.

The same permissions are required for the rra/* directory as well..

ARe you running on Linux? if so what version? What version is apache and php

Good luck,
eholz1
Thank you for the response.

* The cacti log file is owned by the cacti user. In fact, the cacti log file appears to be updating every 5 minutes even though I am getting the error message when I go to my cacti start page.

* I am running on linux - It's CentOS 7.6

* Apache appears to be 2.4.6

* php looks to be 5.4.16

I used the upgrade process at this link to do the upgrade: https://www.urban-software.com/cacti-ho ... ade-cacti/. I've used this in the past and have been very successful (if it works, why change?). I had this up and running, but I was initially getting this message, did some tinkering and got past it, but it's back (maybe after a reboot). From what I can tell, it looks like cacti is running, i just can't browse to it because of the message.

hipsterdoofus
Cacti User

#4 Post by hipsterdoofus » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:44 pm

I think I finally got it figured out. Definitely a permissions thing.

netniV
Cacti Guru User

#5 Post by netniV » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:40 am

hipsterdoofus wrote:I think I finally got it figured out. Definitely a permissions thing.
That would always be my first instinct in this regard. 99% of the time it's down to permissions, rather than a bug.

hipsterdoofus
Cacti User

#6 Post by hipsterdoofus » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:28 pm

netniV wrote:
hipsterdoofus wrote:I think I finally got it figured out. Definitely a permissions thing.
That would always be my first instinct in this regard. 99% of the time it's down to permissions, rather than a bug.
Yeah I think it boiled down to different permissions from the directory itself than the contents. I didn't catch that and kept changing it all one way or another and it didn't work. Finally figured it out by looking at the previous install.