[Solved] Graphs in Tree are "blocks" or "square"

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Moderators, Developers

Author

[Solved] Graphs in Tree are "blocks" or "square"

#1 Post by xdracco » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:43 pm

I've recently begun experiencing an issue with all graphs in tree mode. For lack of better words, I can only describe graphs in tree mode as "blocks" or "square" and seemingly missing recent poll data:
~~
cpu-01.png
cpu-01
cpu-01.png (75.59 KiB) Viewed 492 times
However, when I click "Time Graph View" to view graph averages, all graphs are displayed as expected:
~~
cpu-02.png
cpu-02
cpu-02.png (133.59 KiB) Viewed 492 times
This graph, as well as all graphs, have Slope Mode (--slope-mode) enabled.

I'm not sure what has triggered this behavior but it started a couple of days ago. I have noticed this log line in cacti's log:

Code: Select all

22.Oct.2019 11:15:02 - CMDPHP Input Validation Not Performed for 'node' Backtrace: (/graph_view.php[219]:top_graph_header(), /lib/functions.php[3247]:include_once(), /include/top_graph_header.php[28]:draw_navigation_text(), /lib/functions.php[2484]:get_request_var(), /lib/html_utility.php[346]:html_log_input_error(), /lib/html_validate.php[44]:cacti_debug_backtrace())
Interestingly, and randomly, the graphs in tree mode revert to proper graphing but then revert back to being graphed blocky and square. I have cleared Safari cache from the developer mode drop down but this issue persists all browsers i tried (firefox, chrome, opera).

Ubuntu server: 18.04.3 LTS (all up to date)
RRDTool: 1.7.0 (this specific version is selected in Cacti settings)
PHP: 7.2.19-0ubuntu0.18.04.2
Apache: 2.4.29 (Ubuntu)
MySQL: 5.7.27-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 (Ubuntu)
Cacti: 1.2.7 (installed few days after 1.2.7 release date; downloaded from cacti.net; w/no cacti plugins installed)

Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by xdracco on Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The answer to life, the universe and everything is int main() { return 42; }

RaduAlexandru

Re: Graphs in Tree are "blocks" or "square"

#2 Post by RaduAlexandru » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:41 pm

The short answer is you are zoomed in.

The "blocks" are the samples (taken 5 minutes apart as per your settings). And the "gap" is due to the missing data, because time has passed from last sampling time, but not enough to get a new sample. This is normal behavior.

Here is a short demo: https://youtu.be/_hFyot9umo4.

xdracco

Re: Graphs in Tree are "blocks" or "square"

#3 Post by xdracco » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:21 pm

thank you for the reply and thank you for pointing me in the correct direction.

Turns out I had changed my Default Timespan user setting to "last hour", which explained the zoom even when I cleared presets (since it would default back to "last hour").

again, thank you.
The answer to life, the universe and everything is int main() { return 42; }