Cacti (home)ForumsDocumentation
Cacti: offical forums and support
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Localized Time on Graphs
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:34 pm 

If this has been requested I apologize, but I am not seeing it.

I did see :

https://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=58387

But I am not sure that request was properly articulated really, as the timezone of the monitored nodes seems more or less irrelevant, but I do have a similar issue as I have users in 5 different timezones (All 4 US zones, as well as BST) I have my pollers all set to Europe/London for timezone but what would be phenomenal is if individual users were able to set their LOCAL timezone in their user profile, then when they view graphs the time is localized to them.

For instance I am in CST so it is 9:25pm currently, my graphs all show 3:25am as the current time as that is the server time on all pollers, as well as the current local time in London. What I am suggesting is that I have the option to select "MY" timezone as CST in my profile, so all displayed graphs and log data are localized to my local time automatically.

This is similar to how splunk, and other tools localize time by user but it is shown in the attached image.

All of my logging being ingested into Splunk is tagged UTC, but my users all have the option to select their timezone which allows the plunk user interface to display the localized time, not the actual timestamp.

If this is not something anyone is working on currently, and there is interest in it I may take a look myself at the level of effort to add it..

Attachments:
File comment: Splunk Example
tzexample.jpg
tzexample.jpg [ 82.51 KiB | Viewed 500 times ]

Post subject: Re: Localized Time on Graphs
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:59 am 
Cacti Guru User

Currently, the time of the server dictates the times of the graphs. It is being considered for a future release but I don't believe it is being done at this time.

One thing that will be in 1.2 is that remote pollers will be able to have localised time.

Cacti Resources:
Cacti Website (including releases)
Cacti Issues
Cacti Development Releases
Cacti Development Documentation

My resources:
How to submit Pull Requests
Development Wiki and How To's
Updated NetSNMP Memory template for Cacti 1.x
Cisco SFP template for Cacti 0.8.8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:54 am 

I'm not really worried about time being localized by poller, in fact it is easier IMO if these are all aggregating data in a common timezone like UTC.

What I am proposing is that end users be able to localize the time, so if someone in CST is viewing graphs ALL the data is displayed in their local timezone, a separate user in London would see the exact same graph data but in their timezone etc...

Certainly not a critical functionality change, but it saves users from having to do any math when determining the time of the data they are looking at.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:34 pm 
Cacti Guru User

Yes, like I said it's already been asked and considered. The problem is that there are quite a few fields and plugins which are not timezone aware so it could and most likely would be a breaking change hence we haven't just dropped it in.

Cacti Resources:
Cacti Website (including releases)
Cacti Issues
Cacti Development Releases
Cacti Development Documentation

My resources:
How to submit Pull Requests
Development Wiki and How To's
Updated NetSNMP Memory template for Cacti 1.x
Cisco SFP template for Cacti 0.8.8

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:22 pm 

That's what I was afraid of, and taking a glance I think I see what you mean.

The way Splunk (Or other log aggregation tools) store data is not the same as Cacti at all, so it isn't as simple as applying a simple +/- $local_tz_offset and having everything come out pretty! I appreciate the reply!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:02 am 
Cacti Pro User

Most fields in cacti use timestamps, so viewing thing from another timezone should be pretty strait forward. I think it's just timing. This project is community driven, so finding people to contribute will help for things like this.