text labels missing from graph

Post support questions that directly relate to Linux/Unix operating systems.

Moderators: Moderators, Developers

Post Reply
Author
Message
larry
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:15 am

text labels missing from graph

#1 Post by larry » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:16 pm

Hello!
I have a problem with very similar to this one:
http://forums.cacti.net/about8389.html

All the graphs in cacti are with missing labels. I am using cacti 0.8.7b-2 (Debian package). Everything was working fine before i upgraded the following packages:

[UPGRADE] apache2 2.2.3-4+etch4 -> 2.2.3-4+etch5
[UPGRADE] apache2-mpm-prefork 2.2.3-4+etch4 -> 2.2.3-4+etch5
[UPGRADE] apache2-utils 2.2.3-4+etch4 -> 2.2.3-4+etch5
[UPGRADE] apache2.2-common 2.2.3-4+etch4 -> 2.2.3-4+etch5
[UPGRADE] libfreetype6 2.3.6-1 -> 2.3.7-1
[UPGRADE] librrd2 1.2.27-2+b1 -> 1.2.28-1
[UPGRADE] librrds-perl 1.2.27-2+b1 -> 1.2.28-1
[UPGRADE] rrdtool 1.2.27-2+b1 -> 1.2.28-1

I enabled some debug to catch the command used for creating the PNGs:
it was:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/rrdtool graph -  --imgformat=PNG  --start=-2678400  --end=-7200  --title="Localhost - Traffic - |query_ifName|"  --rigid  --base=1000  --height=120  --width=500  --alt-autoscale-max  --lower-limit=0  --vertical-label="bits per second"  --slope-mode  --font TITLE:12:  --font AXIS:8:  --font LEGEND:10:  --font UNIT:8:  DEF:a="/var/lib/cacti/rra/localhost_traffic_in_669.rrd":traffic_in:AVERAGE  DEF:b="/var/lib/cacti/rra/localhost_traffic_in_669.rrd":traffic_in:MAX  DEF:c="/var/lib/cacti/rra/localhost_traffic_in_669.rrd":traffic_out:AVERAGE  DEF:d="/var/lib/cacti/rra/localhost_traffic_in_669.rrd":traffic_out:MAX  CDEF:cdefa=a,8,*  CDEF:cdefd=b,8,*  CDEF:cdefe=c,8,*  CDEF:cdefh=d,8,*  AREA:cdefa#00CF00FF:"Inbound"   GPRINT:cdefa:LAST:" Current\:%8.2lf %s"   GPRINT:cdefa:AVERAGE:"Average\:%8.2lf %s"   GPRINT:cdefd:MAX:"Maximum\:%8.2lf %s\n"   LINE1:cdefe#002A97FF:"Outbound"   GPRINT:cdefe:LAST:"Current\:%8.2lf %s"   GPRINT:cdefe:AVERAGE:"Average\:%8.2lf %s"   GPRINT:cdefh:MAX:"Maximum\:%8.2lf %s"
When i ran it manually it displayed:

Code: Select all

ERROR: failed to load
and the generated PNG was with missing labels exactly as in cacti.

I ran the same command again but removed all the --font parameters and the generated PNG was with correct labels.

It seems that it isnt loading the font or the parameters are incorrect. (i'm not RRD expert)

Tried setting the RRDTool Default Font Path to some ttf font but without result. The labels still missing.

Any suggestions how to fix it? Thanks in advance!

cmarsot
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:30 am
Contact:

#2 Post by cmarsot » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:09 pm

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem since last update of rrdtool on my Lenny installation.
I do not think it is related to apache update.

I have created a new graph, but still have the problem.
Perhaps a cacti problem with the new version of rrdtool ?

larry
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:15 am

#3 Post by larry » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:48 am

downgrading librrd2 back to version 1.2.27-2+b1 fixed the problem...

vengent
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:12 pm

#4 Post by vengent » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:41 pm

I tried rolling back the librrd2, but seeing same problem, not sure if it's the same as posted or not so putting up a screenshot.

I've tried the font path, checked debug, no errors, it seems to be polling, collecting, and graphing the data itself just fine, but no labels.

This is running 0.8.7b on linux (debian testing), across numerous hosts, and numerous graph templates. I've deleted everything and started over twice.

Any one else have some suggestions?
Attachments
cactitexterror.png
cactitexterror.png (25.56 KiB) Viewed 6834 times

jeffreym123
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:25 pm

#5 Post by jeffreym123 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:48 pm

I had the same issue, downgrading both librrd2 and rrdtool to 1.2.15-0.3 solved the issue.

User avatar
Talon_Karrde
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:41 am
Location: Kamp-Lintfort, Germany

#6 Post by Talon_Karrde » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:47 am

Hallo,

as I ran in the same problem today, I installed the old version of both
librrd2 and rrdtool. This fixed the graphs.

I did a little bit of resaerch an have found a message on debian.org
reporting the same issue.

The guy who reported this, said also that he has solved the problem
with some additional parameters.
Maybe this is interesting for cacti devolopment?

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=493575

kind regards
werner
There is more happiness in giving than there is in receiving.

cmarsot
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:30 am
Contact:

#7 Post by cmarsot » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:15 am

a new version of files are available with dist-upgrade for lenny:

rrdtool 1.3.1-3
librrd2 1.2.28-1

every is now correct.

User avatar
Talon_Karrde
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:41 am
Location: Kamp-Lintfort, Germany

#8 Post by Talon_Karrde » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:20 am

Oh, yes! I can confir that.

And Inoticed a new lib is also there.

librrd4 1.3.1-3

C U
Werner
There is more happiness in giving than there is in receiving.

Discogalaxy
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:51 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

#9 Post by Discogalaxy » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:51 am

Just had the same problem.
that font wasn't isntalled on my Suse 10.3
Just install via YAST and now its perfect :-)
Processes:30 Threads:N/A Hosts:92 HostsPerProcess:4 DataSources:4419 RRDsProcessed:1891
-----
www.discobeats.de

Post Reply