Tag Cloud ?

General discussion about Plugins for Cacti

Moderators: Moderators, Developers

Author

Tag Cloud ?

#1 Post by DeanoX » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:38 pm

Is anyone aware of a plugin for giving a tag cloud type functionality ?

i,e...

1) Ability to give graphs simple tags
2) have a graph view where the tree is replaced by the current tags (like many blogs) .
3) Click on a tag and you get the graphs with that tag

I have a bespoke tool that works like that and in some respects its much more flexible than the rigid trees. Similair to the "quick tree" tool really - in fact I wouldn't imagine it would be that far away at all really.

Unfortunately I'm no PHP coder :(

Howie
Cacti Guru User

#2 Post by Howie » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:06 am

Interesting idea. You would want some nice way to tag the graphs though. Would a new option in the graph management dropdown be enough?
Weathermap 0.98a is out! & QuickTree 1.0. Superlinks is over there now (and built-in to Cacti 1.x).
Some Other Cacti tweaks, including strip-graphs, icons and snmp/netflow stuff.
(Let me know if you have UK DevOps or Network Ops opportunities, too!)

DeanoX

#3 Post by DeanoX » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:23 am

The drop down list box at the bottom ... ? So you could "Add Tag to Graphs" - and add the same tag to multiple graphs at once.

And maybe an option to edit the tags in free text form on the per-graph page aswell.

Both Would be perfect - how hard is the cacti plugin architecture to use ?

Howie
Cacti Guru User

#4 Post by Howie » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:04 am

DeanoX wrote:The drop down list box at the bottom ... ? So you could "Add Tag to Graphs" - and add the same tag to multiple graphs at once.

And maybe an option to edit the tags in free text form on the per-graph page aswell.

Both Would be perfect - how hard is the cacti plugin architecture to use ?
How long is a piece of string? There isn't much documentation, so you need to know enough php to pick apart another plugin.

I've just started on this though as a diversion - it doesn't do anything yet but the page exists and an icon appears next to graphs.
Weathermap 0.98a is out! & QuickTree 1.0. Superlinks is over there now (and built-in to Cacti 1.x).

TheWitness
Developer

#5 Post by TheWitness » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:42 pm

This has been an outstanding feature request for some time. Both to inject VRULES in the graph, and log information in the legend.

It's an easy enough plugin IMHO. Jimmy's already doing something like this in THold.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of MacTrack, Boost, CLog, SpikeKill, Platform RTM, DSStats, maintainer of Spine, lot's of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Central Templates Repository

I'm still out there people. Getting excited for Cacti 1.2. I think it will be a great release.

Howie
Cacti Guru User

#6 Post by Howie » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:58 pm

TheWitness wrote:This has been an outstanding feature request for some time. Both to inject VRULES in the graph, and log information in the legend.

It's an easy enough plugin IMHO. Jimmy's already doing something like this in THold.

TheWitness
Huh? Are we talking about the same thing? What does this have to do with VRULEs? I am thinking of a keyword-based way to select graphs, like flickr or blogs.

TheWitness
Developer

#7 Post by TheWitness » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:56 pm

Ok, drinking more wine now :oops:
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of MacTrack, Boost, CLog, SpikeKill, Platform RTM, DSStats, maintainer of Spine, lot's of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Central Templates Repository

I'm still out there people. Getting excited for Cacti 1.2. I think it will be a great release.

DeanoX

#8 Post by DeanoX » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:54 pm

Needless to say I'd be a happy beater tester :)

Deano
Cacti User

#9 Post by Deano » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:28 pm

And just found my old account details. Been away from Cacti for a few years....but its good to play again.

Howie
Cacti Guru User

#10 Post by Howie » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:03 am

Just as a quick update - I have a kind-of-working tagcloud plugin :-)

You can assign tags from the Graph Management screen, and it will show a new tab with a tagcloud on it. If you click on the cloud items it shows a list of graph-ids as links at the moment.

So I guess I need to get it to show actual graphs, and do some kind of pagination (what if you tag ALL your graphs with 'graph'?).

I also have a little 'tag' icon in the sidebar of each graph, but that doesn't do anything yet. I'd like to get it so that you can optionally show the tags underneath the graph title, but that will need some new plugin hooks (one line changes).

If you use thold, you'll also need to make two one-line bugfixes there before this plugin works.

Once I have the graph display bit working, I'll post some code.

Deano
Cacti User

#11 Post by Deano » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:42 pm

Sounds Good :)