THold alert correlation/suppression

Support questions about the Threshold plugin

Moderators: Moderators, Developers

Author
Cacti User

THold alert correlation/suppression

#1 Post by Ahuber » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:25 pm

I've been browsing the forums to see if anyone else has asked this question, but can't seem to find it.

I am wondering if there is any way to manually set thold alert notifications based on two or more existing thold conditions.
Basically if I can get two or more conditions to occur, I know with a much higher degree of certainty of what the problem is, and have thold create an appropriate alert based on that.

Also, not as sought after, is there a way to supress alerts, based on the condition of another alert?

I'm getting to the point that the information I'm getting out of cacti is so good, I'm wishing I could create an alert based on multiple of other thold alerts.

I've also thought that if thold could spit out an snmp trap, or syslog based on an alert, I could use a trap collector to do that, however I feel if it was built into thold it probably would be more reliable. I've seen a poll that someone is developing an snmptrap add-on for cacti. I'm sure this will be awhile

No rush...
Thanks Folks.

AHuber

Ahuber
Cacti User

Re: THold alert correlation/suppression

#2 Post by Ahuber » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:40 pm

Oh I remember this post I made long ago. I guess I shouldn't have wrote 'No rush'
Anyhow, I have never accomplished this, but suspect it is not an easy endeavor. I am bumping this post just in case anyone else has come across a way to accomplish this.

Osiris
Cacti Pro User

#3 Post by Osiris » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:59 pm

That is seiously funny. Not actually sure it's easy. Easy concept, but not too easy to achieve.
Before history, there was a paradise, now dust.

netniV
Cacti Guru User

#4 Post by netniV » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:39 am

Concept could be if you have a notification script that could be run when either threshold is raised, it could update a value that the third thold is checking which then triggers the alert.

Osiris
Cacti Pro User

#5 Post by Osiris » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:24 am

Seems hackish. I was thinking of a concept called threshold groups.
Before history, there was a paradise, now dust.