Help on graphing Windows NT from Windows 2000 via SNMP

Post support questions that relate to the Windows 2003/2000/XP operating systems.

Moderators: Moderators, Developers

Post Reply
Author
Message
georger_br
Cacti User
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:12 am
Location: Brazil

Help on graphing Windows NT from Windows 2000 via SNMP

#1 Post by georger_br » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:25 am

Hi all,
I run Cacti 0.8.6f on a Windows 2000 box. It graphs data for several routers and Windows 2000/2003 boxes. It's doing great so far.
Now I need to monitor several Windows NT boxes. NSClient isn't an option, because I don't have a Linux box and my boss won't let me have one. I know that Microsoft's SNMP agent for Windows NT is weak, and I already did my homework:

1) I installed the SNMP service using my Windows NT CD-ROM.
2) I reinstalled SP6a so that the agent would actually run.
3) I downloaded SNMP4NT from http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc/nt.htm, installed it, and ran mibinst.bat afterwards.

According to http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc/availsta.htm, I can read the counters from OID Tree .1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.1.3.1.1. and retrieve information about Memory (1), CPU (2) and Logical Disk (5). In fact, I ran

snmpwalk -Os -v 1 -c public OLDNTBOX .1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.1.3.1.1.1
snmpwalk -Os -v 1 -c public OLDNTBOX .1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.1.3.1.1.2
snmpwalk -Os -v 1 -c public OLDNTBOX .1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.1.3.1.1.5

and after removing the useless part and relating it to the PERFMIB.INI file that comes along with SNMP4NT, got the following results:

enterprises.311.1.1.3.1.1.1.1.0 = INTEGER: 69152768 -> Physical Memory(K), Available
enterprises.311.1.1.3.1.1.1.2.0 = INTEGER: 316334080 -> Commit Charge (K), Total
enterprises.311.1.1.3.1.1.1.3.0 = INTEGER: 517103616 -> Commit Charge (K), Limit
enterprises.311.1.1.3.1.1.1.14.0 = INTEGER: 29257728 -> Kernel Memory (K), Paged
enterprises.311.1.1.3.1.1.1.15.0 = INTEGER: 7430144 -> Kernel Memory (K), Nonpaged
enterprises.311.1.1.3.1.1.1.19.0 = INTEGER: 21438464 -> Physical Memory (K), File Cache

enterprises.311.1.1.3.1.1.2.1.1.3.48.58.48 = STRING: "0:0" -> CPU, *
enterprises.311.1.1.3.1.1.2.1.3.3.48.58.48 = INTEGER: 4 -> CPU Usage, % Processor Time
enterprises.311.1.1.3.1.1.2.1.4.3.48.58.48 = INTEGER: 0 -> CPU Usage, % User Time
enterprises.311.1.1.3.1.1.2.1.5.3.48.58.48 = INTEGER: 4 -> CPU Usage, % Privileged Time

enterprises.311.1.1.3.1.1.5.1.1.6.48.58.48.58.67.58 = STRING: "0:0:C:" -> Logical Disk, *
enterprises.311.1.1.3.1.1.5.1.1.6.48.58.48.58.68.58 = STRING: "0:0:D:" -> Logical Disk, *
enterprises.311.1.1.3.1.1.5.1.1.13.95.84.111.116.97.108.58.95.84.111.116.97.108 = STRING: "_Total:_Total" -> Logical Disk, *
enterprises.311.1.1.3.1.1.5.1.3.6.48.58.48.58.67.58 = INTEGER: 59 -> Logical Disk, % Free Space
enterprises.311.1.1.3.1.1.5.1.3.6.48.58.48.58.68.58 = INTEGER: 18 -> Logical Disk, % Free Space
enterprises.311.1.1.3.1.1.5.1.3.13.95.84.111.116.97.108.58.95.84.111.116.97.108 = INTEGER: 27 -> Logical Disk, % Free Space
enterprises.311.1.1.3.1.1.5.1.4.6.48.58.48.58.67.58 = INTEGER: 2445 -> Logical Disk, Free Megabytes
enterprises.311.1.1.3.1.1.5.1.4.6.48.58.48.58.68.58 = INTEGER: 2391 -> Logical Disk, Free Megabytes
enterprises.311.1.1.3.1.1.5.1.4.13.95.84.111.116.97.108.58.95.84.111.116.97.108 = INTEGER: 4836 -> Logical Disk, Free Megabytes

This is an old Windows NT box with 256 MB RAM (about 67 MB free), very light CPU load (spare machine) and one 17 GB SCSI hard disk with two partitions (one 4GB total, 2.4 GB free, the other 13 GB total, 2.3 GB free).
Problem is, I've been trying to create a Host Template along with the necessary XML files, scripts etc, for two full days now, to no avail. I've read and re-read the documentation, tried to borrow code from the Netware templates, but still couldn't really get things going.
I ask for your help to build a host template for NT hosts. I'm sure there are more people around with some of these old boxes that would like to monitor them. I'll fulfill all information and answer all questions necessary to make this happen. Regards,

Georger

User avatar
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator
Posts: 12160
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 12:44 pm
Location: USA

#2 Post by BSOD2600 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:14 pm

1) Have you searched for script forum for others which have created scripts for the snmp informant addition?

2) I haven't done any research, but are you sure the basic SNMP counters you've listed (cpu usage, mem usage, disk usage) are not part of the MS Agent? I'd find it hard to believe they are not. Did you try the host templates that came with cacti on the NT box?

georger_br
Cacti User
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:12 am
Location: Brazil

#3 Post by georger_br » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:53 pm

I just searched the other topics. I downloaded and installed SNMP Informant but it looks like it's not supported under Windows NT - in fact, nothing has changed, even after a reboot.
Having successfully used the MS Agent on Windows 2000, 2003 and XP, I thought NT would be a breeze. Much to my disappointment, its SNMP agent is very limited in comparison to the more recent incarnations. I tried the Windows 2000/XP host template and it only managed to obtain the network interface counters. Regards,

Georger
BSOD2600 wrote:1) Have you searched for script forum for others which have created scripts for the snmp informant addition?

2) I haven't done any research, but are you sure the basic SNMP counters you've listed (cpu usage, mem usage, disk usage) are not part of the MS Agent? I'd find it hard to believe they are not. Did you try the host templates that came with cacti on the NT box?

georger_br
Cacti User
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:12 am
Location: Brazil

#4 Post by georger_br » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:18 pm

Hmm, while the other topics didn't solve my problem, they pointed me in the right direction! I managed to graph the CPU! One down, two (memory and disks) to go. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute this soon! Regards,

Georger
georger_br wrote:I just searched the other topics. I downloaded and installed SNMP Informant but it looks like it's not supported under Windows NT - in fact, nothing has changed, even after a reboot.
Having successfully used the MS Agent on Windows 2000, 2003 and XP, I thought NT would be a breeze. Much to my disappointment, its SNMP agent is very limited in comparison to the more recent incarnations. I tried the Windows 2000/XP host template and it only managed to obtain the network interface counters. Regards,

Georger
BSOD2600 wrote:1) Have you searched for script forum for others which have created scripts for the snmp informant addition?

2) I haven't done any research, but are you sure the basic SNMP counters you've listed (cpu usage, mem usage, disk usage) are not part of the MS Agent? I'd find it hard to believe they are not. Did you try the host templates that came with cacti on the NT box?

georger_br
Cacti User
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:12 am
Location: Brazil

#5 Post by georger_br » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:40 pm

Got memory graphed. Now for the disks.

Georger
georger_br wrote:Hmm, while the other topics didn't solve my problem, they pointed me in the right direction! I managed to graph the CPU! One down, two (memory and disks) to go. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute this soon! Regards,

Georger

georger_br
Cacti User
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:12 am
Location: Brazil

#6 Post by georger_br » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:05 am

I have the disk graphed. I'm going to polish things a bit and contribute a Windows NT host template. Regards,

Georger
georger_br wrote:Got memory graphed. Now for the disks.

Georger

spoonman
Cacti User
Posts: 299
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 8:54 am
Location: GA

#7 Post by spoonman » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:57 pm

Win NT host template yet?

Thanks all.

georger_br
Cacti User
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:12 am
Location: Brazil

#8 Post by georger_br » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:32 pm

Yes.
http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=8579
spoonman wrote:Win NT host template yet?

Thanks all.

Post Reply